PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I really enjoy Old Ironsides, but like many fine blends it is always out of stock. Any suggestions for a good substitute?
Jeff

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
This old Dan is even harder to find: Holly's Discovery. I've been told it was to replace OI, but OI does pop up every once in awhile, so I guess it's still being produced. Never seen a new tin of HD. HD is more oriental forward and a bit lighter than OI. But I like Lancer's Slices, Pirate Kake (burley though), Low Country Cooper, and Penzance (slightly easier to find than OI) when I'm in a heavy Lat flake mood. Still thinking about Blakeney's Latakia Flake in this realm. There are several other Latakia flakes, but they are lighter to me. If it's just a heavy Lat I'm wanting, Bow Legged Bear (cake, rather than flakes) and Da Vinci from C&D get the job done.
hp

les

Dec 24, 2012
I haven't tried OI yet, but I did recently pick up 8 tins from 4noggins, so the stuff does show up from time to time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I smoked English blends I tried OI and couldn't smoke the stuff. From what I have read it has the most Latakia of any blend on the market. I would recommend finding the boldest English that GL Pease offers and see if that floats your boat.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I bought the whole set when these first came out. I thought it was a CAO blend but I guess its Dan? Which one is best?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Well I took the advice of Harris and bought a tin of Pease Abingdon. I passed on the Da Vinci only because it was a very fresh tin and the Abingdon, while not dated, was starting to bulge, always a good sign in my book. The Abingdon is still not as heavy and earthy as Old Ironsides, but it is a fine blend and a welcome addition to the rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.