PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I was just bidding on a Savinelli on ebay. I placed a bid for $5 ($9 shipped) and It had 1 minute left. A bidding war broke out and in the last 10 seconds I got out bid by 25 cents. I was wondering if anyone else had any fun stories like this where you had a close call and lost or won when bidding on ebay.

pipemaker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2010
The auction doesn't beging till 30 seconds are left. If you really want to win in these auction you need to get bidding software (bid sniper etc.) You won't win all the time but you will have a fighting chance Bob Clark

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Two I lost are here and here at $5 for the mystery pipe I thought I would run the risk. Looks like a kaywoodie maybe? For the Sav I thought it would be a nice addition for under $10 but another person out bid me by quite a bit.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
That's pretty common for ebay and it's standard for higher end stuff. I usually bid with 5-10 seconds left. That way the person that I (hopefully) outbid doesn't have time to come back to bid higher. I was watching an Autograph this afternoon that only had a bid of around $30 with 1 minute left. I entered a bid of $82, waited 'til it was down to 5 seconds and pulled the trigger. Came in second. The better the pipe, the more bids will skyrocket in the last few seconds. I've seen some artisanal pipes that draw 20 or more bids in the last 15 seconds. All you can do is take your best shot and hope.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Looks like I need faster reflexes and a faster internet connection. Well that and a fatter wallet haha.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
With automatic bidding I cannot see where having snipe software will do you any good. If you have bid a higher amount that the person who puts in the bid with 2 seconds to go, you are still going to win the item. The Ebay bidding system always takes the persons higher bid amount. If you bid high enough, you will win it regardless.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I am starting to realize that the hard way. I started bidding on a Royal Coachman (seconds made by Comoy if my research proves right) for $10 and the other person has a maximum bid that is higher. I have bid up to $15 but now I will call it quits on that particular pipe.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Well fellas, I am done pipe shopping for a while. I bought 8 this week and the girlfriend is about to ring my neck. She keeps rambling on about something called car payments... I told her I would just drive my pipe but then she asked what I was really smoking. Anyways, I feel I now have a good start to a beginners pipe collection and will keep you guys updated when they get here.

tsgourley

Lurker
Aug 30, 2010
I've been fighting hard to buy a Radice twin-bore pipe off the ebays for a while, and twice now I've got into a bidding war at the last minute. Both of those times they exceeded the price range I was willing to pay. Turns out one of those auctions was won by a good guy who posts on pipesmokersforum so I wasn't upset about losing that one.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Ive come to realize that I could have spent the $120+ on one nice pipe instead of two moderate pipes and a lot of 6 low grade pipes lol. But now I have a humidor and rack to display them on. Though, I'm guessing I will have to refinish the wood and clean it really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.