PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

raycornett

Lurker
Dec 4, 2009
Last night I noticed a gargling sound after smoking my pipe for a while.This usually means condensation build up from what I understand.
I stopped smoking and emptied the pipe.

I took the stem off and blew into it and brown goo did come out of the metal piece at the tip of the stem(maybe a metal filter?).
I then took a pipe cleaner and ran it into the mouth end of the stem and a lot more of this brown goo came out on the pipe cleaner.
I think tried to draw air in through the stem and it is clogged.
Any clues on how to fix this issue?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
First, what kind of pipe is it? Knowing this will let us know if there is a metal stinger in it.
Second, are you sure that there is no filter in the pipe?
Pictures would be helpful.
If there is no stinger or filter, then it sounds as if you need to thoroughly clean your pipe with alcohol.

You need some high proof alcohol to do this. I use grain alcohol. You will need a lot of pipe cleaners as well.
Did the pipe cleaner in alcohol and run it down the stem. Continue doing that with clean pipe cleaners until the pipe cleaner comes back out clean. Then do the same thing to the mortise on the pipe.
If there is an actual clog, you will need to soak a pipe cleaner in the alcohol and stick it into the stem and let it sit so that it will loosen up any of the gunk that is in the stem.

falconeer

Lurker
Dec 17, 2009
Hi,
It does sound like there is a metal stinger here - I'd take it out, soak a pipe cleaner in whisky and run it through the stem repeating as necessary. Should the pipe cleaner not pass through, I'd sit the stem in a dish of hot water for a while then try the above. I'm not a big fan of stingers, I think they make for a wetter pipe so I probably wouldn't replace it. After you've got the stem clean and clear, run whisky soaked pipe cleaner into heel of pipe to get it clean and free up the draw too. Good luck,
Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.