Clock and Watch Collection (Pic. Heavy)

(21 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jvnshr
  • Latest reply from frozenchurchwarden
  1. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have a coworker whose father is a clock and watch collector. He invited some of his colleagues (luckily including me) to see what his father has done in 15 years.

According to the collector there are more than 1000 clocks and watches in the collection from all over the world. He said that his father was a watch repairer thus he followed his father's path and started collecting these. He has repaired most of these clocks and watches after finding them, therefore all of the items in the collection work. The guy even built a huge room for the collection and once you enter it feels like stepping into another world. Clock ticks create an amazing harmony and somehow it is very pacifying. Here are the pictures:

A clock made in 1880

Panoramic view of the room

As a Zippo collector I couldn't pass up taking a photo of this small lighter

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow

Makes me feel a little better about my hoarding/ collecting. Amazing

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Amazing. I had a family member who was a watch repairman for the railroad. I have my grandfather's old Waltham pocket watch which is broken. He said that he had the parts and knowledge, but needed my eyes& hands to maker the repair. I never made the time to work with him and her passed away. Opportunity lost.

I could have spent a few hours looking at that collection.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a place you could go and really pass the time.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oooooh, brad, I see what you did there.

What a collection! Tempus fugit, unfortunately.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I could have spent a few hours looking at that collection.

That's a place you could go and really pass the time.

True, we spent at least 3 hours there, but I might be wrong because I wasn't wearing a watch

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

What an awesome opportunity.

I love seeing a collection like that from someone who truly loves and appreciates these wonderful objects.

I have long had a love affair with old watches and clocks. Consequently, I have acquired several older watches over the years. Almost all of em wind-ups. Even my every day watch, a circa 1960's Rolex Date Just is a very basic wind-up watch. I do have other perpetual watches and only one or two that are battery (both gifts).

I guess it's the appreciation for the fact that these artisans/craftsmen were able to create a complex device, utilizing springs and gears and somehow keep time to within a reasonable acceptable limit.

Thanks for sharing

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's pretty awesome!!!

If you have one watch you know what time it is. If you have two or more you never know. (Yes, I butchered the quote)

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It takes more than one to make a collection, so I don't qualify, but here's my pride and joy.

Completely scratch built from plans, 6 months in the making, but watching it run, it was worth every minute.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You just have to wonder about the value of all those clocks and watches.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Depending on the movements in them, anywhere from the many thousands to the many tens of thousands

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like clocks, you may be interested in this podcast. https://stownpodcast.org/
    The focus of the story is a crazy clock-maker/repairer, who lives just across the woods from me. I never knew him, but I run into many of these eccentric geniuses all over the place here. We listened to the podcast, and then were amazed that this all took place just 15 minutes away. So, the wife and I went out to see the labyrinth he built and the little shittown that we never visited once in all of the years of living here. The podcast definitely doesn't show our part of the world in the best of light, but it is what it is.

Nice clocks. "Every minutes beats you down, but it's the last minute that kills you."

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bass- that's one incredibly nice piece of work!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks JP

If you have a scroll saw, a few months and a complete lack of respect for your own time, you too can make one

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do any of them tell you the right time?

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The whole clock market collapsed about ten years ago, at least in the US. Collectors just stopped. Every town had a horologist to repair these fine machines, and then with the popularity of cell phones, phhhht, killed the whole market. Something about having the time on your microwave, phone, car dashboard, your cable box, and computer just kills the need for buying a dedicated time-telling appliance.
    But, they are works of art, IMO, inspiring questions, and ideas.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A sad world indeed when watches are now out of vogue. I rather like wristwatches. I neither want nor need (or get) my time from kitchen appliances, cellphones or the like, though I do have a pen that not only keeps time but if you press a button, it TELLS it to you (talks) with a very nice voice! Got it from Radio Shack in the '90's.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot guys. I am glad you liked the pictures.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

According to the collector there are more than 1000 clocks and watches in the collection from all over the world ...

-Wow. Just wow. The collection is just astounding! I don't know whether I would have been able to leave that room ...

Thank for sharing this!

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool Javan... I would like to have been there too.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I'm working somewhere with a tight schedule I still like to wear a nice sturdy diving watch (water resistence is usually just to survive doing the dishes), and someday I would love to build a Grandfather clock of my own.

My favorite clock right now is a neat little "water powered" clock that uses the chemistry of tap water to power an LCD: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/page.aspx?p=72260&cat=2,42191,55529

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   methomp, pitchfork