PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
My stems are acrylic and I smoke each of my pipes around 4 times a week. How fast will clenching destroy the stems? Also how hard is it to order and replace your own stem, I have heard that they need to be fitted to the bowl and you can't just buy one and stick it on...

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
It's tricky. I have one tooth that just flat ruined a very nice acrylic stem on a meer of mine. Got a vulcanite replacement and all is well-- til it's time to de-oxidize it. Some folks can clench an acrylic stem for years without a problem. I'm not one of them, but I hope you are.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I've only had my pipes a couple weeks and they have teeth marks... just found these softy rubber pipe bits that fit at the end of your stem to bite down on and protect the stem from your teeth... will have to give them a try...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GKDIHM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
I am a clencher as well, both my currant pipes and all my previous pipes are riddled with teeth marks. I actually like the cheap soft MM cob stems they come with, makes me feel less bad as i am always smoking while i work on a bike and sometimes i'll be fiddling with something and not realize just how hard i am clenching and with the harder pipe stems i have broken lil bits off them where the MM cob stems are soft enough to flex a bit instead of breaking. i think i'll be ordering a few of those rubber bits to have on hand if i start buying high value pipes as there really isnt a pipe repair shop anywhere near close enough for me to make fixing a stem economical.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I am a clencher also, I put the softie bits on all of my pipes.

Way cheaper then replacing the stem,

It didn't take me that long to get used to them.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
In general, acrylic or "Lucite" stems are much more durable than vulcanite. That being said, I don't clench very hard, and have never put a tooth mark on a stem. Even the cheap plastic ones on MM cobs! I've got a couple of Lucite stemmed pipes that I've had for 5+ years, and they still look like new.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Acrylic may be tougher than vulcanite, but it's also more brittle. The acrylic stem I bit through was actually CRACKED. Vulcanite may dent over time but it's unlikely to have a piece chipped out of it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my pipes except one are vulcanite and I clench all the time. My pipes are pretty light so it does not take much pressure to keep them in my mouth. I have very few teeth marks on my stems and honestly don't really care if they do. I have yet to have to replace a stem due to biting through one.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Since I clench, I prefer lighter pipes so I don't have to bite down hard. There are marks, but never have I dented or bit through a pipe stem. As long as the teeth marks are just cosmetic, I keep on clenching because that's how I enjoy smoking. I talked to a guy at my local B&M, and he said he could replace a stem for me for around $15. He said if I wanted to replace a Dunhill stem (or any other name brand)with another Dunhill made (or any other name brand) stem, it would be around $40. Hope some of this helps out a bit. I never used the rubber tips, but I think they would be worth a try. I, for one, am going to look into them.
Smokey :puffy:

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Just got my rubber pipe bits today and put them on my stems. I like clenching the stem a little better without the rubber bit but the bit is not so bad. My pipes are on the heavier side so I think it is a good decision rather then wreck the stem. Also there is no place to get the stem replaced around here and I would have to send them overseas probably, which could take several months so I've heard... so I'll stick with the bits!!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am also a clencher and happen to be smoking, clenching, and typing at the present. I obviously wont clench a Nording Sitter or another heavier pipe I have. I actually like smoking while working in the shop, pruning my Japanese plants, or reading and that kind of means clenching. I don't have any nasty teeth marks to report, so maybe I don't have sharp teeth.
One thing I WILL caution you on is I was recently trying to pull a nail out of a small piece of shoe molding while smoking. I near damn bit through the stem when I realized what I was doing. No worries though, all is good. Lesson: don't clench while performing a somewhat stressful task :nana:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
One thing I WILL caution you on is I was recently trying to pull a nail out of a small piece of shoe molding while smoking. I near damn bit through the stem when I realized what I was doing.
Absolutely! Know exactly what you mean
I'm very careful to only buy pipes that weigh under 60 grams and most usually bent to distribute the weight for less stress on my teeth
I cannot imagine using the 'softies' on the stems
Just my Personal choice

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I have always been of the opinion that clenching whilst smoking s pipe lowers your cadence, produces a better smoke, and, in short, makes you one with the pipe.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Found out my Pete's pipes all have vulcanite stems NOT acrylic... still I got used to the bits pretty fast and enjoy them now

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've always been a clencher and aside from the regular light marks, I've never had an issue with stem damage. I guess maybe I don't clench as hard as others but I honestly don't think twice about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.