Clear Skies, Sunny and 30F. Perfect Lunting Weather (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Happy Saturday friends.
Maia and I decided to take off this afternoon for a 4km lunt through the dog park. It's actually a leash free conservation area, which covers about 50 acres. There are lots of open areas, a couple swamps, and a mixed beech and red pine bush.
I loaded up the Pete with SPC's Mississippi River, threw on a hat, and off we went. This was my first bowl of Mississippi river, and I really enjoyed the smoke. It was barbecue sauce sweet and spicy coming out of the jar, and that evolved into a complex and deep, enjoyable smoke.
Maia said hi to all the other hikers and their dogs, and had a tonne of fun romping with a big old Alaskan Husky.
Old Cajun, Maia wanted me to pass on that she thinks PMon is a "cutey". Her words, mate, not mine. I'd have said, "he's a handsome dog."
Anyway, here are some pics of us out and about.

Hope you all have had a good day.
-- Pat

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
You should have turned your camera around LOL

Looks and sounds like a great Saturday, never made it above -3 here today. Didn't much matter though as I am at work.

I like a good walk with the pooch and a pipe.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
As a Florida boy, I'm not sure I understand the word "lunting". As near as I can tell, it involves walking the freezing cold countryside with pipe in tow. I don't think it will ever catch on down here. Walking the countryside down here involves an epic battle with slapping the clouds of no-see-ums and mosquitos determined to eat you alive...What they don't get, the gators will...Which is why the closest we come to "lunting" is sitting at the local tiki bar drinking fruity rum drinks....

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Looks like a great lunt! No snow yet? We are covered already here in the Capital.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You should have turned your camera around LOL
It's weird, I'm looking at the post on my laptop, and the pictures show just fine. When I checked the thread from my iPhone the pictures show upside down. That's just bonkers, and beyond me.
@Zack - Lunting basically translates to a walk or hike with lit pipe. There are some subtleties around the purpose of the walk/hike being to enjoy the pipe while walking or hiking, but sometimes subtlety is lost on me. :D
@Kash - Agreed totally. Maia is a lovely pooch, and being with her, in the bush with a pipe is a pretty marvelous thing.
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Great Lunt!
Do you know what kind of dog Maia is? We had a dog that looked just like her. Dog came with the house, but that's a thread-hijacking story. We were told that ours was a black Lab-Golden mix, around 90 pounds. Best dog that I ever knew, lived to be 17.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Looks like a great time Pat. Can't go wrong with a pipe and the dog. What I wouldn't give for 30 degrees right now. I'm not sure we cracked 0 today. At this point any degrees would be nice.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Maia is a Flat Coated Retriever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-Coated_Retriever
She is a wonderful dog. Great temperament, fantastic smile, loves being outdoors. Good with the cats, and just a joy. Highly trainable, yet still smart enough not to get into too much trouble. Flat Coats originated in England, and were used as a dual purpose gun dog, both flushing upland game and retrieving. Maia is absolutely immune to fireworks, so I can only assume she'd be the same under a gun. I hope to get my hunter safety and firearms license this year so I can meet up with some folks who will train both of us how to hunt.
As I understand it, Flat Coated retrievers diminished due to the popularity of the Golden Retriever. Although there are still strong breeding programs in the UK, Sweden, and in the US and Canada. Maia's dad has been to Westminster a few times for the AKC meet and, for a time, was Canada's top Flat Coat as well as best in group. She's got a fancy papa.
All that aside, she's a soft heart and a forever friend.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Looks like a good time Pat. I spent a good chunk of the day at the kids hockey practices, so no lunting here. Also no snow here either, which makes me feel fortunate.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
It's weird, I'm looking at the post on my laptop, and the pictures show just fine. When I checked the thread from my iPhone the pictures show upside down. That's just bonkers, and beyond me.
I just looked at it on my laptop and thought you fixed it until I read this post from you pruss. LOL I saw it the 1st time on my Ipad and they were upside down :crazy:

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Hey Pat. Looks like a nice lunt indeed. I had a stationary pipe in my unheated tool shed last night. A balmy -27 C! Pooch looked at me like I was bonkers when I suggested she come out to join me :(
Cheers!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Pat,
Great timing on this post. I told my wife I was "going for a lunt" yesterday and she honestly replied "WTF did you just say"? So I repeated myself and she thought she hear that dreaded C word that women find vile. I then had to show her online that lunt was actually a word. Enjoyed some 4noggins Chipman Hill in my Trypis mini volcano in 30 degree weather.
Today: SNOW SNOW SNOW

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
:rofl: Nice one yaz!
Great pictures Pat and good looking dog. Looked like a wonderful lunt. Heading out shortly for a walk at the roadqueen's local park. The last time I was there all the leaves were up. Now the leaves are down and a blanket of snow covers the hills. Should be beautiful. I've got my plug sliced and drying a bit.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
Nice pictures, nice doggie. But that is a beautiful pipe in your mouth. What is it?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the kind words guys. Maia is loving the attention.
Spud, that is a Peterson Rosslare, in their 80S shape. I'm the third pipesmagazine.com/forums guy to enjoy this particular pipe. Apparently Gunnar bought it new, sold it to rcstan, who in turn sold it to me a month or so ago. It's a lovely burner.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.