PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Instead of saying she made a mistake, they should be thanking her for cleaning that piece of turd they called art.
af8c6e68cb898518fd0e6a70670019c6.jpg

File this one under "O" for "Oops." A cleaner with the best intentions accidentally destroyed a piece of art worth more than $1 million when she removed what she thought was a "stain" from the installation. Spoiler alert: It wasn't really a stain.

The piece of art, titled "When It Starts Dripping From The Ceilings," features a series of wooden planks and a (formerly) discolored plastic bowl. The artist, the late Martin Kippenberger, intended for viewers to understand that the bowl had been discolored by water running over the pieces of wood.

Unfortunately, the bowl isn't so discolored anymore. A spokesperson from the art museum in Dortmund, Germany, remarked that "it is now impossible to return it to its original state." The cleaner was apparently unaware that she was supposed to stay at least 20 centimeters away from the works of art.

Kippenberger died at the age of 43 in 1997, but he left behind a large collection of work. Roberta Smith of the New York Times said he was "widely regarded as one of the most talented German artists of his generation." Like many of the greats, his work has grown more valuable since his death. In 2005, a Kippenberger painting went for more than $1 million.

So far, there's been no word on whether the cleaning woman will be in any legal or financial trouble for her mistake. The piece of art was on loan to the museum from a private collector, who will probably think twice before lending out any more million-dollar pieces of art. According to the AP, insurance adjusters are currently "assessing the damage." It'll be up to the owner to decide whether to approve an effort to restore the piece to something resembling its original state, or just leave it as is.
Story here

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:rofl:

I'm sorry but that just slays me....

I enjoy visiting touring art collections as much as the next person.

I may even appreciate it as much as the next person.

But.... That?

:rofl:

:puffy:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I genuinely offended an art professor once when I refered to a rendition of "Excalibur" made of tinfoil and paper towel tubes as a "fucking third grade looking piece of shit". Turns out he was the artist. I passed his class, but only barely.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The amazing thing is that any one who criticizes it for the pant load that it clearly is will be told they don't know art or what it represents. I'll gladly remain ignorant if thats the case. lol

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i know all you critics think that's garbage, but before you point them fingers just send your rusticated pipes to me - i'll buff 'em out nice and smooth.
like james joyce once said, the chinese think we all westerners smell like corpses from all the meat we eat. i guess everybody stinks to someone.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I was thinking along the same lines chopz.

The many pipes we view as works of art will be just that much wood and rubber to others.
That said, a bunch of sloppily painted and poorly lettered lath haphazardly tacked together over a drip pan valued at over a million bucks? A drip pan with a dirty water stain in it?
Shit oh dear I've a fortune out in the barn and didn't even know it! hehe, eBay here I come, woo-hoo!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
i know all you critics think that's garbage, but before you point them fingers just send your rusticated pipes to me - i'll buff 'em out nice and smooth.
I don't think its garbage. I think it's kindling misrepresented as art. No way that ends up in the Louvre 300 years from now unless someone takes it apart and makes canvas frames from it.
That said, a bunch of sloppily painted and poorly lettered lath haphazardly tacked together over a drip pan valued at over a million bucks? A drip pan with a dirty water stain in it?
Shit oh dear I've a fortune out in the barn and didn't even know it! hehe, eBay here I come, woo-hoo!
You'll have to angle the old pieces of barn wood just right or it wont be art. They need to be parallel to represent the misdirections man continually makes in his search for meaning and the if not then the drippings, which represent our universal soul, wont collect correctly into the waste bucket of love.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I see the cleaning lady's accident as a perfectly valid, if unintentional, bit of art critique. If you need a special education to even recognize it as art, it is meaningless except to a very decadent intellectual elite.
Things like this will end up in museums of the future as a sort of horror/comedy show, examples of the perverse thinking of our era. A bit like a collection of pre twentieth century medical devices such as the bellows that once adorned English beaches that were intended for the purpose of literally blowing smoke of the ass of a drowning victim. Not a joke, that is real and this era of art is likely to be viewed in a similar fashion.
If that attitude makes me low brow and ignorant it is a distinction I wear with pride.
This thing had value only because of the name attached to it. I'm sure that a Van Gogh signature has value but it still isn't art.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i'd recommend reading "a lexicon of musical invective," which reprints music critics' reviews from eras gone by, calling everything from beethoven to stravinsky "noise" and "garbage." it's funny how we hear and see these things all the time - expressionism, dadism, grunge and atonal music - in movies, television. and we accept it as entertainment. but to sit down and listen to a bartok concerto or look at miro and we think it's worthless.
art is anything that conveys a message.
now, the old masters, davinci, for example, were creating the media that has long become accepted as standard. they experimented with mixing oils and pigments. most of davinci's works were unfinished, and some turned to crap. i don't see creating something out of papertowels as meant to last. but a well cooked meal can be art too, and that won't last long. the paintings of the masters were done mostly on canvas and they need to be refurbished every 150 years at most or they'd crumble to nothing too.
listen to the music that was used for "the shining." brilliant.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
art is anything that conveys a message.
By whose definition? That is the more modern broadened take on it, typically by those wanting to be artist without artistic skills or talents. By that definition, my dog's morning bowel movement is itself art as a comment on this art piece.
5__320x240_dog-shit.jpg

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Crap is crap....calling it art does not make it so......then again I left a masterpiece in the toilet bowl this morning!

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
The cleaning woman should be given a medal!! :worship:
Next we need to find a bulldozer operator of a similar bent to remove all those rusted piles of welded junk masquerading as "art" in our parks and public areas. :twisted:
Maybe it wasn't Warhol who was the first (with his copying a soup can and coloring a picture of Marilyn), but such "artist" loonies should find something more constructive to do.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
There's no such thing as "good" art or "bad" art. Art just is. That's the point.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
yes this is a uniquely american problem i think. art is "useless" to the minds of many. the artist dreams, and by doing so defines where the culture will go next. someone like h.g. wells imagines flying machines and conveyor belts and trips to the moon. these ideas echo through a civilization until it's no longer clear their origins, and then someone with the know-how to make it happen and the will to do so makes it a reality. this doesn't apply only to mechanical objects but to ideas too. things like liberty and freedom. concepts like "ego" and "subconscious," that in centuries past would have had little meaning. there are 3 pillars on which civilization is built: art, science and religion (philosophy, for the atheistic types). it just won't stand on 1 or 2.
i taught for a summer for a russian who had a music school. he told me once that when you walk down a street with a musical instrument case in russia, people bow and greet you with respect; they treat you like a professor. like an artist. here, people look at you as if you're about to ask for a handout. i no longer paint, but if i were to, perhaps a pile of dogshit would be a suitable subject to convey what a foul pile the state of mind of so many has turned to.
i guess we better go back to talking about how cool gwar is. forget the more subtle and complex flavors - stick to the swisher sweets and marlboro lights of art, literature and music. for the record, i can appreciate a white castle burger but i can also appreciate a fine paté foie gras.

Status
Not open for further replies.