PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have a few mason jars to store tobacco in, and a thought just occurred to me. If you have a blend in a jar for awhile, use it all up and want to put a different tobacco in that jar, do you need to wash it or anything? I know it's glass, but will some of the flavors/characteristics leach over from one blend to another?
If you do clean them out, do you just use soap? Oxyclean? Alcohol? I also assume you'd want ample drying time before putting loose tobacco in there.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I just use soap and hot water, dry with paper towels, and leave the lids off for a spell, to "air out". Never had any problems. I think the rubber seal on the lid would be more likely to hold any odors, scrub that good too with hot water/soap.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Nothing in the tobacco blend is likely to leach into the glass - it's one reason glass has been used for so long as a storage medium. A surface cleaning with soap and water should be sufficient, and perhaps a new lid, as rubber is a little more prone to absorbing things.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Macabra11:
The dishwasher works just fine on the containers and rings but the lids are always replaced at my house. You can buy a box of lids for pocket change at any store carrying canning supplies.
Fnord

Jul 15, 2011
I make it a point to empty a jar and then just store a similar kind of tobacco in the same jar after it's done. I swap out lids and rings and have never had an issue doing it this way. VA flake jars get refilled with a different VA flake, burley jars get filled with new burley, latakia jars...well, you get the idea. I never wash the jars and have never suffered any ill effects. I have it narrowed down to just about 10 different blends that I plan on sticking with and that I will reorder continuously anyway.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Wash all jars that are new. Rinse hot, cold, hot. Rinsing cold gets more soap off, hot sanitizes. If I have a blend that needs jarring and it of the same genre, reuse without a wash. The aroma gets into the rubber the most. I retire lids when even with a hot water soak the rubber fails to push back out. I've stored tobacco in jars for a very long time without degradation. You don't need to heat the jar to create a vacuum; just tightening the lid hard will do that. Just like tins need to be inspected from time to time for rust, periodically retightening the lids is a good practice. I don't know why but some loosen after the initial hard tightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.