PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2011
Hi, All. I am in need of some advice. I have a few pipes that I've acquired that have some char on the rim. I'm not convinced that this is all burnt pipe, as this appears more "cake-like" and has flaked off in places to reveal uncharted rim. If possible, I would like to remove this "cake" from the rim (without damaging the pipe). Any suggestions? Or, should I just leave well enough alone? Thanks in advance.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
For a heavily gunked up rim I use an X-acto knife to carefull scrape of the thickest stuff.0000 steel wool works good also.Finish up with the Qtip and spit.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Most folks say "NEVER USE ALCOHOL ON A PIPE" because it'll remove the finish.

Well, honestly, I've never found that to be a problem and it dissolves the tars on a rim pretty well.

If you want to go the safe, slow, conventional route, lemon juice is more acetic than spit, and less odious too.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
1) take a 8" square of denim (old jeans) and lay flat on a Butcher block.

2) Rub, like a big crayon, a patch of white diamond rubbing compound into the denim (you now have a homemade krokus cloth)

3) with the stem removed and the pipe bowl inverted, rub the bowl rim on the denim, in one direction, as if you were using a block plane.

4) After a few rubs, the gum will heat-up and be removed from the wood without any physical change to the wood.

5) repeat, but at a different rotation, until the rim is like new.

Using this process you are simply inverting what is the "tool" and what is the "workpiece", I havent found any other way to apply such great pressure, evenly and squarely as this.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Excellent approach modern!

I've always used a denim rag and spit, works just fine, but I really like your homemade krokus.

By holding the rag in my hand it contours to the shape of the rim whatever that shape may be, so I'll pass on using the board for this but I like the use of the white diamond for sure.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
120 grit sandpaper should do the trick...just joking of course.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
I got an estate with cake on the rim and was also burnt in some spots.

I used a common no scratch scouring sponge and ever clear, the cake came off easily. I then used 800 grit sand paper to remove burnt spots and even up the rim. A re-wax and a polish job....pipe looks great.

If using sandpaper may have to restain the rim as well. I have a few stain markers for doing this and have also used Old English.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Great idea! The wife and I were just today trying to think of what and how to load a rag with polish to touch up my pipes after I smoke. I know there was or is a company that makes such a thing but of course there is no telling what is impregnated into the their cloth. Have any ideas?

Sorry if I jacked the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.