PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
How do you clean the outside of the a pipe, not just seal in the dirt with a coat of polish or weather comes after. (And noe comments begging the question of cleaning for character.)

After using a pipecleaner on the draft and paper towel to ream out the bowl, I leave my used pipes on a table below my wall racks. Then just before bed, I will re-rack all of my pipes after wiping them down really well with a polishing cloth marketed for jewelry. The light colored part of the cloth is for polishing the briar and rubbing off any oxidation on the stem, and the darker part has a microcrystalline wax impregnating it to give a light coating of wax that will protect the pipe. If the rim has some char or cake creep on it, I have a piece of leather stretched over a small piece of wood. I spit on the leather to wet it, and then rub the rim lightly over the leather to get a nice clean rim. Then I hit it with the polishing cloth.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There are many wood soap products online, but most have fragrances added.

I just use a cloth dampened with water, followed by some carnauba wax.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I'm of the nose oil method. Give a couple of fingers worth of oil off your nose and wipe the pipe down (not stem of course). Then lightly wipe off the excess if there is any. Allow to air dry.

I assume you mean paste. Car paste wax and some furniture wax is a carnuba base, but it also has a bunch of other stuff in it that might emit an aroma when smoked. You’d need a buffer or some sort of lathe to use the solid “pure” carnuba, amd buffing your pipe too often can ruin the lines and surface of the pipe. I think smokingpipes has a compound of some sort for pipe stummels that is easy to apply. But, really, unless you are just abrassive as heck on the briar, you shouldn’t have to reapply the wax on a regular basis. Just buff it well with a dry wash cloth... elbow grease.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Cosmic - which polishing cloth do you use? I see several online marketed for jewelry with different compounds on/in them.

They all are pretty much the same thing. When I had the store front, I sold Sunshine brand, because I got a great deal on them through the distributor, but now I just use these... https://www.amazon.com/Polishing-Cloth-Silver-Metals-Largest/dp/B000FIS5U4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507852483&sr=8-5&keywords=Jewelry+polish+cloth

But, really, they are all the same thing, maybe different brand polishes or waxes, but practically the same. Just go with what is available for a reasonable price. For pipes, the bigger the better, so you can really wrap it around your stummel and give it some umph.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Ok good to know, didn’t want to mess any of them up. I’ll try one of those, thanks!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Water, hot, and with detergent if the outside is filthy, followed by a soft cloth- as in an old Tee- works great. Adding a bit of wax, such as Halcyon brings up the sheen a bit.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
First a little De-Solv-it and finish with Briar Pipe Wipe. All with microfiber cloth.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Great thread. I love the idea of cleaning the rim with a block of wood with leather stretched over it. Going out to the garage to make that right now.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks for this thread and for the info Michael. Two of those cloths just cost me 61 bucks! Well, I got a drill chuck and some tools for my lathe too and a package of surprises for the forum members. I have been looking for an excuse to make a bunch of tampers, now I have the main parts ordered. :lol:
I bought a package of 100 two inch long chicago screws. They should make nice tampers, once wrapped with wood or plastic or whatever. Gotta make a poker to go inside them too.
21wH6nKtlfL._SY355_.jpg

The one end of a chicago screw is domed/flat, the other end screws out. It should make a great tamper when completed.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Ken keep me in mind for a fancy tamper. I collect them. Can always use another one. Trying to save up some penny's got my eye on one Cosmic has for sale.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
James, you are the reason I bought the Chicago screws. I had spotted them on Amazon a while back and this order gave me the excuse to get them.
So, what material should the barrel part of it be made from? Bamboo? Wood? Plastic? So many possibilities.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
WOW! nice. I'd be happy with anything Ken. Thanks a lot. :clap: I'll be happy to pay for it. Super nice jesture.

Status
Not open for further replies.