PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I recently snagged some more pipes to restore, but these have been sitting for quite some time in someones attic. As a result, the outside of the bowls are quite dirty. I have tried a plain paper towel and even a q tip with some saliva to get the dirt out, but it hasnt been that simple. Anyone know of a way I can get this dirt off? Im afraid to use any kind of chemical or abrasive as I dont want to harm the outside of the bowl.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If its hella nasty and you don't mind dulling the finish and rewaxing you can use Everclear, but I have used lemon juice to great effect, Just some lemon juice and one of those cotton thingies my wife uses to remove make-up.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
for cleaning general dirtiness hand oils and what not i just wipe it down with a little bit of olive oil.

Jul 15, 2011
@baron- Never thought of lemon juice. I once used a Magic Eraser to clean off rim char with great results but was a little nervous to take it to the outside of the bowl.
@jasongone- I think this might be more than just hand oils. It looks like someone rolled the pipe around in some freshly reamed cake and then let it sit for a decade.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
you could use murphy's oil soap matchstick. i haven't personally used it on any pipes, but there was recently a thread...

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For a simple fix, which I use sometimes for a nice shine: Spray lemon pledge on piece of cloth and let it dry for a day, then polish the pipe with the cloth.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
magic eraser should be fine, I've used it on my rim too, but I don't think it would take off the finish...

Jul 15, 2011
jasongone, thank you for mentioning Murphys Oil Soap. I think I am going to lightly take a magic eraser to my least favorite of the three pipes. Worst case scenario, that one will be a little off, and I dont like the shape much anyway. Thank you all for the suggestions.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
For really dirty pipes, I use Murphy's oil soap full strength. I put a light coating on using a Q-tip and then after a minute or two, I follow that with a cloth with alchohol on it. This will remove any residue from the Murphy's.
As said, it will dull the finish, but if you do these steps with only a minute or two in between them, you won't remove the finish. I repeat this as necessary. If there is a heavy buildup on the rim I apply a heavy coat to the buildup and let it set for a few minutes. I follow this with alcohol on another Q-tip and repeat till I get the pipe down to the finish and have removed as much buildup as possible.
Follow these steps with carbuba and you will have a pipe that looks like new. Then you get to start on the stems. :)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Post some before and after pics of the pipe your gonna magic erase please? I would like to see what happens to the finish if anything.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I just tape them to the roof of my car and run it through the car wash. If that doesn't work, use warm water evenly on the outside of the bowl and a magic eraser first. I use the buffing wheel and that usually cleans them right up. If you are restoring pipes, you should have a buffer.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Super nasty ones I scrub with a soft nylon brush and either Murphy's or Simple Green. Don't soak the wood down is the main thing.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Hold your bowl over the escaping steam of a whistling teakettle for a couple of seconds, and wipe with a tight cotton cloth.

Jul 15, 2011
Post some before and after pics of the pipe your gonna magic erase please? I would like to see what happens to the finish if anything.
I will most certainly do this for you. I will get cracking on it later today after coffee, breakfast, and a trip to town to pick up some more pipe cleaners and a few new tobaccos.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I use the same as Baskerville and Ace. Just use a little murphy's straight. Have cleaned some pretty nasty SOB's with it. I have more trouble with the stems.. been using just 400 grit up to 1500 grit paper and some pig spit to polish but takes forever. :(

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I usually start with a product called Goo Gone, it's great at removing grease and skin oil and normally won't harm the finish. If that doesn't do the job I go to Murphy. DON'T use it undiluted. Be sure to remove the soap completely or it will leave residue on the pipe that will collect more dirt.

johnspipes

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
There is a product called "Briar-Wipe". It contains natural oils and non-caustic cleaners. I've used it for years with great results. You can buy it on-line, but GOOD Pip Shops carry it for a cheaper price

Status
Not open for further replies.