Cleaning the chamber

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ali Alansari
  • Latest reply from folanator
  1. alialansari

Ali Alansari

Login to Send PM

Good day,

I was hoping to find out the correct way of cleaning a pipe's chamber during the periodical maintenance. I would usually ream the chamber ever so slightly and then wipe it with alcohol. It that last step correct?

Thanks.
    Ali

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The alcohol doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary. Now, after quite a few smokes, I'll use alcohol to scrub out the shank and bowl. I like to use 151 Rum.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally, I wouldn't use alcohol in the chamber unless I was trying to de-ghost or sweeten a soured pipe. I've never had a pipe go sour, but have bought estates that were.

Just gently ream, if the cake is getting too thick. Too much cake will result in a cracked bowl.

+1 on 151 rum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If there is no thick cake, and you are cleaning out the bowl after a smoke, I will recommend unscented baby wipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hot water flush. No fuss no mess.

Here's a too-long thread about it: LINK

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

>>" Alcohol ... I like to use 151 Rum." -- So that's why the rum is always gone, you scabrous dog!

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm on the hot water rinse as well. Hot water with a wipe of the chamber with a paper towel. Quick pipe cleaner and you're done.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to hear, folanator. As I've become lazier (or more efficient!) I now tend to wait till I get a large handful, and do them all at once. Sometimes I don't even dry the innards, just towel off the stummel and stem! (Oooooh, no!!) The RH in my house is usually around 50%, so drying is no more than overnight.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another thing I am doing is added a few medium sized dehumeticant packs into the 2 humidors I was storing my pipes in. Humidity has been right around 50% inside the box. everything seems to be staying crisp and dry.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   steveg11, pylorns, mikethompson, mso489, alaskanpiper, elpfeife, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper