PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
Hi!
I just bought a Strambach Vienna meerschaum pipe. There was two models: One with a bent stem, and another with straight one. I liked more the bent stem, so I ended up walking out of the store carrying it, and I was a happy man. Having smoked it once, I still am, just there occurred a little problem.
I don't know what is the material of the stem, but it - I mean the part you can get off from the bowl - is so curwed it's really hard to get cleaner through it. Do I just need to push hard, or is it dangerous - can it break the stem? On the other hand, my skills of deduction are telling me I need to clean it anyway. Just wanted to ask your advice. Is it just a violence with bent stems?
Thanks in advance!

Happy meerschaumer

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Try gently twisting the pipecleaner as you go through the stem.

I do this for each of my deep bend pipes and it works.

Dec 24, 2012
mithridate, you may need to buy churchwarden pipe cleaners as well, if length is an issue. These are long and pretty thin:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=5421
AAs indicated, just twist, as needed

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't speak to bent Meerschaum. (I'm just christening my first Meer that's straight.) But for bent pipes in general, some will take a pipe cleaner right to the bowl, and other's won't. It's just to much of a turn in the airway, or in some cases the airway isn't perfectly aligned to get through to the bowl. With other bent pipes, they take the pipe cleaner all the way through just like a straight pipe. With bent pipes that don't take a pipe cleaner, you just do the pipe cleaner as far as it will go; for many smokes this is sufficient. If the airway gets restrictive or blocked, just take off the stem and pipe cleaner the stem and stummel separately. I hope I'm understanding your question, but on the subject of bent pipes, this is my experience.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
First, some pipe cleaners are thicker than others. Get some thin ones.

Second, with the stem removed, run some warm water through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.