PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
So I picked up vintage Medico that has a screw on bit it had a stinger which I removed

But I’ve cleaned this with alchohol several times!! I even did a 24 hour salt treat!! The shank is filthy I think I am calling it the right part

Between the bowl and the big. I can soak a pipe cleaner and run it, and use 20 a tips and they all come out dark brown? The brown had about 3/8 of inch thick cake

Which I removed so can the shank build cake to? I’m baffled as to how to get this clean. Please help and feel free to correct me on my pipe anatomy lol!!

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
I will definitely try the coffe ground soak!! I don’t think I need to ream the bowl it is clean and cake free I didn’t have a issue there but the stem has a metal band pressed onto it that the bit

Threads into so I don’t think I can ream the stem, can I? I saw bowl readers on line but nothing for the stem?
If it didn’t have the threads in the way I was thinking I could get a drill bit one size to big and use my drill press but with the threads that is not an option!!

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Shank brush, get them from smoking pipes.com also find 99% alcohol, don’t use the drugstore brand. If you have a head shop near by they usually carry the 99%, or get ever clear. If it will strip the paint of a car it will clear up that gunk!

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Isopropyl alcohol iirc , is 100 percent , gasline antifreeze
.. don't ingest it

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Good tips I been using 99% isopropyl alchohol as it has less alchohol then most

Liquor

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Something I use for cleaning porcelain wash basins and polishing , back to clear , faded headlight lenses on old cars is .... toothpaste
Excellent abrasive , some types have tri sodium phosphate ..

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Toothpaste is great for your silver or nickel bands on your pipe too, although for cleaning vulcanite nothing beats a mr. clean magic eraser. It works like....what’s the word I’m looking for? 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.