PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
One of my favorite pipe-smoking venues is my personal automobile. As a result, its windows can get very filmy. I have tried Windex; however, the new forumla doesn't work nearly as well as the old, and tends to leave a smeary mess. Ditto vinegar and newspaper.
Do any of you Forum members have a sure-fire method of removing smoke residue from glass which you will share? Thank-you for your help with this!

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I use the aerosol cans of glass cleaner from NAPA auto parts stores. Works fine for me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Ammonia is a good glass cleaner. Here's a recipe you can try. Do not clean your windows in sunlight as steaking will occur.
Ingredient Measurements
To mix the solution in a spray bottle, first fill it with 26 ounces of warm water after removing the spray mechanism. Add the funnel to the bottle, and pour in 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol. Add 2 tablespoons of ammonia and 1/4 teaspoon of liquid dish-washing detergent, ideally an alkaline-based or grease-cutting version. Replace the bottle's spray mechanism and tighten the lid. Lightly shake the bottle to mix the ingredients together. You might notice some light suds.
Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_4793255_mix-ammonia-glass-cleaner.html

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If it's really bad a solution of vinegar and water. You can either apply it with a cloth/sponge, or simply put it in a spray bottle. If it's really that built up use straight vinegar first and then finish with a rinse of water and then Windex or any other type of commercial glass cleaner.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
For really nasty windows that has film, mud, grease or sticky residue from inspection stickers; I first use rubbing alcohol to take everything off, then use regular window cleaner (ammonia free due to tinted windows) for a streak free window. Works every time!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
dustmite:
I will give the NAPA aerosol cleaner a try.
booker:
I am not familiar with Sprayway Glass Cleaner. Where is it sold?
papipeguy:
Your recipe sounds like a winner.
warren:
As I mentioned in my post, Windex simply doesn't do the job.
phil67:
As I mentioned in my post, vinegar simply doesn't do the job.
noodlle72:
I always vent the smoke via the right-rear passenger window. Since most of my travel is done via Interstate highway having ALL of the windows down during a smoke would be a sure-fire ticket to disaster. Further, as I mentioned in my post, vinegar and newspaper simply doesn't do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.