PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Hello gents,

What is the best way to go about cleaning a rusticated plateau? I have a much loved Ashton freehand with a terrific pebble grain and a pronounced plateau rim that looks like it could use a cleaning, but for obvious reasons don't want to use alcohol. Would cleaning with a dish detergent work? Thanks for your advice.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Minimal water and a stiffer toothbrush or plastic bristle brush, same idea as cleaning rim tar. And lots of patience, of course. If you start taking stain off, obviously stop. I believe the detergent soap would have the same effects as alcohol.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
+1 with Sable, I take a tapered bristle cleaner fold it on end about 1/2 inch, load it with spit and start cleaning, when it's loaded with grime I cut it off with pliers, fold again and start again. Works for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At some point in the cleaning process, when you want to buff out the textured areas, a new

bandana with some of the stiffener in it, sizing I think it's called, will provide a very light

abrasive but will still pick up grease and particles. Do this after you have pretty much cleaned

up the visible crud. This is a good job to do while you are watching TV or listening to music,

the way some women use knitting, as a pass-time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is great advice from Mike. Be patient and move slowly to minimize/eliminate any damage to the bowl or bowl top.
I never thought to discern the difference between stain types and the method to clean them - thanks Mike!

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I have good luck using Goo Gone and a soft toothbrush. I've used it on dozens of pipes over the years with no damage to the stain, but start carefully to be sure, there may be exceptions. I put a cotton ball or some Kleenex in the bowl to prevent getting it inside the bowl. The only drawback to Goo Gone is a very strong citrus smell, but it fades fairly rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.