Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpp1

Lurker
Jul 26, 2014
I am new here I have been smoking pipes for a little bit I am by far not a expert I have a pipe I picked up for a tobacco store a few years back. I would like to smoke pipes again. What should I do before l start smoking it.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Give a good cleaning with pipe cleaners soaked in you favorite spirit?
I'm new as well. Welcome, you'll like the guys here, they are very free with their knowledge unlike some forums where in order to be taken seriously you must have a certain post count.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
Start with some pipe cleaners.
Then decide what to liquid to use when you use the pipe cleaners.
I prefer grain alcohol, because it is odorless and tasteless. Others prefer other liquids. Saliva is very highly recommended and costs very little.
I like to use each end of the pipe cleaner- one end of the bit and the other end in the shank of the pipe (dipped in grain alcohol). Of course this means separating the stem or bit from the shank.
The third step involves using the mid-section of the pipe cleaner by folding it in half, very tightly. Dip this in your liquid and re-clean the shank all the way into the bottom of the bowl.
Repeat these steps until the pipe cleaner is no longer very dark in color.
I assume the bowl is not heavily caked. If it is, you will need to ream/evenly scrape off the excess cake in the bowl. I do not recommend removing all the cake back to the bare wood because you will have to rebuild cake again.
Good luck!
-bw

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
dpp1:
Welcome back to pipe-smoking!
Woopigsooie is correct. If you pipe has sat for awhile you might want to give it a thorough cleaning before putting it back in service. I use Everclear 190-proof neutral grain alcohol as a cleaning solvent. It does a good job of breaking up the tar which can accumulate in the shank and the bore of the bit. Further, it will not impart any residual flavor as could whiskey, rum, or other spirits. May I suggest that you start with bristle-type pipe-cleaners, and then finish with regular ones. Just keep at it until they come out clean. You might also dampen a piece of paper towel with Everclear, and swab out the bowl to remove any accumulated dust, ect.
As for the stem and bit, I find that Bon Ami cleanser (applied with a damp piece of paper towel) and a toothbrush works well for removing accumulated oxidation, and it leaves the bit smooth without scratching. If the stem has a logo be careful not damage it. As noted above, Everclear-soaked bristle-type and then regular pipe-cleaners will clean the bit's bore. Again, just keep at it until they come out clean.
A toothbrush works well on the bowl, too, and can worry out accumulated grime from beading, and old wax from stamped nomenclature. Once the bowl's exterior is clean, I would give it a good waxing using carnuba, then hand-buff it, again using the toothbrush to polish the nooks and crannies.
Let it thoroughly dry, and then pack with your favorite tobacco, light, and enjoy!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Well, now that you've got your pipe nice and clean and sweet smelling, let me give you a few tips about smoking it so that you will derive maximum enjoyment from your pipe.
First of all, if that's the only pipe you've got, you may need to get a few more, because a pipe really needs to rest between smokes. How ling? Opinions vary, and members here will give you figures ranging from two hours to a week. Another member might tell you that he has seven pipes, one for each day of the week. You'll find what works for you, but definitely let your pipe rest, because it needs to dry out between smokes. An oversmoked pipe will turn sour and unpleasant. And, run a pipe cleaner through it after each bowl. Pipes need to be kept clean and dry.

As to getting more pipes, I have no idea what your financial means are. Pipes range in cost from the fairly inexpensive to a down payment on a car. On the less expensive side, a corn cob makes a great smoker. Two brands to look at are Missouri Meerschaum and Old Dominion cobs. Both are sponsors of this site, and both make great cobs. I'm a bit partial to the taste of the Old Dominions, but that's personal. Just click on any of our sponsor links on the left of this page to be taken right to their sites. Also in the inexpensive category are Dr. Grabow pipes. If you've got a bit more cash floating around, again, check out our sponsors, especially 4noggins, pipes and cigars, Smokingpipes, and cup o joes. They carry pipes in a variety of price ranges, and are absolutely ethical businesspeople who will be happy to take a phone call from you and discuss your individual needs and preferences, and can easily work with you within your budget.

Next we come to tobacco. I'd be at a loss to tell you how many thousands of different brands there are, but a good site is tobaccoreviews.com. Only you and your taste buds know what's right for you. A very broad breakdown would be aromatics--those tobaccos to which some sort of flavoring agent has been added to make it smell sweet for those around you. A popular one is called Lane 1Q. Another category is Virginia tobacco--originating in Virginia, but now grown all over the world. Virginias are slightly sweet on their own, and Mac Baren No. 1 Virginia is a nice, mild example of the type. Virginia-Perique, also known as VaPer, are extremely popular. The Perique adds a bit of of spiciness and a slight peppery taste, as well as a bit more nicotine. An excellent way to start is Orlik Golden Sliced. English tobaccos or sometimes called Latakia forward tobaccos have varying amounts of Latakia added. This is a black leaf which is relatively low in nicotine, but adds a distinctive smoky taste. Balkan tobaccos may also contain some Latakia, but it's in the background, while the various Balkan tobaccos move into the forward position. Try Frog Morton (original) or Balkan Sobranie. Bottom line--only you know what you like. Try some different tobaccos and pretty soon you'll discover what gives you maximum pleasure.
Now--how to smoke. Here are three good rules that I give to every new smoker:
1. The tobacco should be a lot drier than you think it should be. Jason, one of our Mods, advises bone dry.

2. The pipe should be packed a lot looser than you think it should be.

3. The pipe should be smoked a lit slower than you think it should be. Sip, don't puff. I always tell new smokers that the pipe should feel warm, not hot.
OK, hope that's not too much to digest at one sitting, but I think you'll find it helpful. There's lots of good info on this forum, so read, read and read. And ask questions. You'll get lots of good answers from smokers who have been down this road before you.

And Rule 1: Enjoy your smoke.

dpp1

Lurker
Jul 26, 2014
Thank you all for your help I will work on cleaning my old pipe and look into a new one also

Status
Not open for further replies.