PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Just a quick question, do you take your Pete's apart to clean them? If not, what's the trick to snake the pipe cleaner through and into the bowl?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Try putting a small bend the very tip of a cleaner and when it seems to bottom out, twist it a bit as you push. Sometimes that'll work. Otherwise, let the pipe cool and take the bit off, shouldn't be any problem getting a cleaner into the bowl then.
Also, www.peterson.ie will provide you with a ton of information about the system pipes. Seems to be a problem getting there right now, so try it in a couple of hours.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I have a system standard and I take it apart to clean it, and you can clean the "sump pit" properly while it's apart.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I've done the little bend in tip, like you said, Warren, sometimes it works but rarely. I've had a Pete for 35+ years and always just took it apart. But with all the guys sayin, don't take them apart, I wondered if there was another way. LOL. I usually pull it apart and clean the well with a que tip or a folded pipe cleaner. Then it's done.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
You can take the system pipes apart right after smoking. Immediately after a smoke, I remove the stem and dump out the moisture. As I don't dry my tobacco, usually plenty comes out. Then I blow strongly thru the removed stem, and if needed clear out the draft hole with the poker on my pipe tool. I will also scrape the bowl with my pipe knife. Just enough to smooth it out. After the last smoke of the day, I pull the stem and run a pipe cleaner, starting from the button always. Then I fold the cleaner in half and scrub the draft hole in the stummel. I then take a napkin or bit of paper towel and twist it into the system reservoir. I try to do this each night, but not a big deal if I skip a night. I typically leave the stem off over night to dry out and smoke the same pipe the next day. Been doing this with the same pipe for almost a year and hasn't gone sour yet!

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Judd, you and I are alson on the same wavelength. Just wondered if I was missing something. :)

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I guess what started this is I bought a new Pete a few weeks ago and it got me wondering.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I love system pipes. I own two. Great pipes, and can take a real beating. Mine's taken some pretty hard abuse, not to mention hard drops onto concrete.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks Bryan. Good words. I think we are all in the same ballpark.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
The whole deal with a military" bit like a Pete system is that you may take it apart when it is warm if you wish. A normal mortise and tenon joint will not be happy with that treatment, but a military stem mount is designed for it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've always been told since the Peterson system pipes are military mounted you can take them apart right after smoking a bowl, no harm done.
I love my Peterson system. Just got a System Standard Rusticated 314 last month. Easily the coolest driest smoke I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.