PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I just got a Peterson 303 System Standard off ebay for $27 and cleaned it and smoked it. It smokes great and really sits comfy in my mouth. But I'm concerned on how best to effectively clean a system pipe's shank, what with the strange air chamber and everything? It just seems like it might require some extra technique. Or am I just over-complicating it? Any ideas or suggestions? :puffy:

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I love the system pipe. I just use a Q-tip to clean that reservoir and the area around it and a regular pipe cleaner for the smoke channel between the bowl and the shank. Nothing special or complex about it. A bent pipe stem will clean out the reservoir, just as well.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks guys,
One other thing: This is my first P-Lip bit and while I don't mind it, I don't particularly like it either. But I was wondering if it could tend to cause receding gums behind my top teeth? The smoke stream shoots directly into the gums behind my top front teeth. For you hardcore P-Lippers, have you noticed anything similar, or is my mouth just weird?
Thanks again!

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I am very fond of the P-lip and have notice no problems with it. It is easy for me to clench and helps avoid ye olde tongue bite. So far I've noticed no problems with the upper gum and I smoke a lot.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
For a wrinkle to the above, I use paper towels instead of q-tips.

Only cuz I'm cheap mind you or else I'd use the q-tips.
I cut paper towels into roughly 1 1/2" x 3" pieces, keep em' in a 3P's tin.

Roll a piece up and twist it into the shank end of the stem, then the reservoir. Finish with a pipe cleaner through the stem.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
OTD, That's just what I was thinking (and actually what I did for the initial cleaning/restoration).
And I'll try the Q tips as well. Thanks everyone! And macnutz for the gum info. I was just curious.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
For 40 years I have used tissue papers, just screw it in an pull it out, keep doing this untill the last one comes out clean, dip it in a little alcohol to get it really clean.

ricospipe

Lurker
Apr 11, 2013
Nashua, N.H.
Hi,

New here & pipe smoking.

I just eased my PAD with a Peterson System 313 pipe.

Is there any special way to clean the stem?

On my other pipes I just pass a pipe cleaner through the mouth piece & out the shank end.

But I can't do that with the P-lip. Will it be cleaned enough just cleaning from the shank end?
Thanks,

Rico

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I use a regular pipe cleaner bent in two to clean up the residue of my Peterson system pipes. I have also used both the curled tissue paper and Q-tip. All three methods for cleaning your Peterson system pipe work well.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I smoke P-lips 90% of the time, and haven't noticed any mouth or gum problems, but my hairline does seem to be receding at an alarming rate! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.