PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Hey guys, one of my pipes shanks is clogged and seeing as the hole is to tiny to fit a pipe cleaning in, i need tips on how to clear it out.
I heard that soaking the shank in alcohol is one way to clean it. Does this mean normal medical alcohol you would use to clean a cut?
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 1, 2012
What kind of a pipe is it that it would have a shank that's too tiny for a pipe cleaner? One idea without seeing the problem is a small drill bit.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, from time to time I will get an estate pipe with a clogged shank hole. Just use a drill bit no bigger than a pipe cleaner and give er a few turns. That will clear er out and won't hurt a thing. Most of my estate pipes I re-bore anyway. Then put some alochol in the bowl, put your one hand over the bowl and the other hand over the shank and give er a few shakes. Then use a shank brush or a bristle cleaner and clean the heck out of the shank hole. You will be surprised at the gunk you will get out of it. Doesn't smell great either. Repeat as necessary

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
A straightened paper clip will often work.
You can use ISO alcohol or high proof potable alcohol either one. Careful though as either will remove finish and lift stain if its on the outside of the shank too long.
I'd try the paper clip or drill bit first the clean it, after its opened up some, with pipe cleaners and alcohol.

Aug 1, 2012
Well now I feel a bit dumb. I just assumed it was a pipe that was already cleaned up and ready to go. Yeah, with an estate I do what nsfisher suggested. I get a small drill bit and give it a few gentle turns to clear out any obstructions. Sometimes I use the drill bit to scrape the inside of the shank gently to loosen stuff up but I don't really suggest trying it as it can do some damage.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
+1 to what captsouisie said. First 2-3 careful turns with a drill bit that barely fits, then gradually larger drill bits up to the manufactured size of the mortise.
Be very careful not to enlargen the mortise! A bad, non-flush fit of tenon into mortise will a) make the stem be loose and b) contribute to condensation and thus gurgle/wet smoke! Always drill by hand, NEVER drill with a powertool! Think of it as carefully reaming the mortise.
With a bunch of pipes, I have also opened up the draft hole to 4mm during this step of the cleaning process for a more open draw.
After 'reaming' you will still need to clean out the mess. A shank brush like this will save you a good amount of Bristle Pipe cleaners:

images

I usually take two bowls, one filled with hot water, the other filled with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Then I fill up the inside of the bowl with cotton balls, press them all the way down to real tight. They will absorb the excess alcohol that will unavoidably get through the draft hole into the bowl and weaken up the heel of the bowl.
First clean the brush in the hot water bowl, dry it with a kitchen paper towel, then dip it into the alcohol and scrub the mortise and draft hole. Rinse, Repeat. When water discolours, get fresh one. Until the shank brush comes out fine. If you have done no previous Alcohol bath treatment or the like, this process that can easily take up to two/three hours. As a final step, I then do the same procedure with Qtips instead of the shank brush. Until they come out clean. Takes between 10-50 Qtips usually depending on how good you worked with the shank brush ;-)
Don't give up. Cleaning gooed up shanks is probably my least favourite step of restoring estates. It always feels like those goddamn brush will never again come out clean. If you are persistent and keep scrubbing, eventually it will.
Good Luck!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What Nic said! I soak all my estate bowls with 99% iso and/or Everclear and try to work some of the salt into the shank area then tap the shank till alcohol also fills that cavity. That solves a lot of build-up issues in that area and so far, has eliminated any ghosting in an estate pipe. Than, as Nic advises work the area with a small bristle brush (I use ones that come in our restaurants condiment pump kits).
Here is an helpful article on opening a pipes draw. Measure twice, cut once is a good adage to keep in mind doing this kind of work!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74716036/Opening_Pipe_Draw.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.