PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
First of all even if not everybody would agree I clean up my briar, morta and clay pipes swiping a soft paper towel in the bowl followed by running under hot water for 30 seconds right after finished smoking. It works very well for me mainly because it avoids any ghosting or residual ashing taste which I dislike.

I got my first Meerschaum and I am wondering if I can do the same with it. I am asking because I know meer is very absorbing of water and actually if you leave for 15-20 min in water it becomes very soft (my understanding this is how they do in ordering to carve the meer block). I think just 30 sec of running under hot water should not be a problem but I'd like to know if anybody else is doing this with meer with success.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Been doing it for a couple of years, but for maybe half that time. Interesting side note: The water will preview the color that's developing, and then slowly fade back to its dry color.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm learning by doing with my first Meer, courtesy of 'banjo. In cleaning this estate pipe that 'banjo bought as an estate, I did run water through it to clean out the shank and the bowl, but I did not soak it. It was perfect to remove a thick layer of carbon and to clear out the shank. It did the bowl and shank no harm, and it really cleared the airway. The stem I did with a dishwashing soap soaking and a little alcohol on a pipe cleaner, all with no ill effect. Smokes great now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
skaukatt,
Just me but I can't seem to get with this clean with water trend - again, just me though.
I am with you. I am just too paranoid that I am going to melt my cake or soften it so it flakes off. I have been using pipe cleaners for so long that any kind of change is difficult.

Jan 8, 2013
Just me but I can't seem to get with this clean with water trend - again, just me though.
Not just you. Quite a few of us. I do think, however, that cleaning a meerschaum this way would likely be ok if one was careful. I suppose a quick cleaning wouldn't leave the meerschaum in contact with the water long enough to soften the material too greatly. I would still be careful while using a wire brush cleaner or shank brush afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.