Tags:  No tags yet. 

Cleaning Jars For Storage

(23 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by chakaraka
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

I was just curious how fussy all of you are about Mason jar prep? Do you go to great lengths to sterilize them or do some of you just use them right out of the box?

I hand-washed all of mine in a clean sink with antibacterial dish soap and a fresh dish cloth and the hottest water I could tolerate. I did the rings, lids and jars, rinsing thoroughly afterwards (with "ouch" hot water) then let them air dry on a clean towel.

I read elsewhere where a guy suggested to do what I did, then run the jars only through a dishwasher (by themselves) and heat drying prior to using.

What do you jar hoarders do?

Mike.
    - - - - - -
    Rookie, but learning.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

If they are out of the box, I don't clean them. But if they had something in them, I do what you did.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a thread on another board where a microbiologist tested a bunch of mason jars that he bought new from a big box store. He found they were as clean as could be . So I don't do anything to mine the first time around. If I want to use them again, I just run the jars (not the lids) through a sanitize cycle on the dishwasher (no detergent) and then I clean off the lids with hot water and a bit of alcohol.

Here is the thread http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t7288-are-new-ball-jars-clean?highlight=mason+jars

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

Cool link. I was tempted to use them from the box, but wanted to be thorough.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New jars are, as stated above, usually nearly completely sterile, though I usually sterilize anyway if I'm canning fruit or veggies, but not when I'm storing tobacco.

If you're using jars that have been opened, I'd recommend dipping them in boiling water, just like you'd do if you were using them for canning food. I've done alot of home canning and this is the only way to do a good job of sterilizing jars. It's easy for mold spores to find their way into a jar sitting in a dish drainer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. louiezmich

louiezmich

Login to Send PM

Not sure if this will be any help because I didn't use Masson jars but at your local Walmart you can get jars that have a rubber seal under the lid. It makes an air tight seal for storing tobacco. I got the 10oz jars for 1.90 a piece and they store 10oz of liquid of course but 2oz of tobacco that's good enough for me. But for others they have the same air right jars all the way up to a quart that I saw. You should check it out because they look really nice on the shelf and a little piece of tape on the front will say what they are. Hope that helped

Lou
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good advice Louie. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

All my jars are screw-top, plain ol' Ball or Mason 8 ounce canning jars.

I never wash new jars as said above, it's unnecessary; new jars are usually cleaner that washed ones.

I only wash jars that previously held tobacco only if the previous tobacco was a ghoster (Lakelands, heavy latakia, heavy aromatics) -- otherwise I just refill the empty jars with more tobacco -- usually virginias replacing virginias, English for English, aromatic refills the empty aro jar. Beyond these considerations, brands and types are irrelevant to me.

I check the lids and the seals are stained or cracked, or otherwise damaged, I toss them; new lids are cheap.

If any jars have contained anything besides tobacco, such as food, they go in the dishwasher, hottest cycle. I usually toss the lids on those. I don't want my tobacco blend to marry in the flavors of Grandma's dill pickles. The screw rings get washed when the jars need washing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since I can at home I have a bunch of mason jars, if they are new(I tend to buy a bunch every fall for canning up my harvests), out of the box jars, I use them as are. If the last thing in them was tobacco and I'm refilling them with tobacco, I may rinse and dry them then sniff test the lid for ghosting, or if it's one of my regular blends, just refill it. Since they are non porous, usually a rinse is enough to knock out any lingering scents and flavors from the last blend. If I'm going from food to tobacco, or vice versa, or if I am simply putting an empty jar up for storage. I hand wash, dishwasher, soak and dry with sterilizer according to directions on sterilizer(you can find a powdered mix with water sterilizer cheap at brewing supply shops), then replace the sealing portion of the lid if neccessary. If it's for use I use them if not I store them capped.
    Granted I worked food service for years and brew my own mead so I may go a bit overboard with the sterilization. But since I haven't managed to poison myself yet, well whistling keeps away dinosaurs.

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. quincy

quincy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use the exact jars Louie is talking about for short-term storage. If its something I want to jar and dip into,it goes into the rubber seals. If I'm going to cellar something for the long haul I pop em in the masons and seal em up! I found that works really well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

jars that have a rubber seal under the lid.

Rubber is a bad idea for long term storage because they dry and crack over time.

If you're using the bail top jars with rubber seals for short term and you're getting into the jar regularly, this isn't much of an issue, but trust me, opening a bail-top jar and finding the rubber seal dried and cracked with the tobacco ruined after the jar was in the back shelf of the cellar for long term storage is not a good experience. Been there, done that. Silicone works well and doesn't dry up. I still prefer screw-top mason jars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with Roth on this. I only use the mason jars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use these jars on the top shelf for long term storage as they have silicone gaskets. Like roth mentioned, the rubber ones go bad and it sucks to find out the hard way. I wash them very well before I put tobacco in. Unfortunately the ones I buy are expensive( ones that hold 2 pounds are 8.97 for one) but I trust them. I get them at Walmart.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. zyrcon

zyrcon

Login to Send PM

Great post... you guys just asnswered my next nagging noob question.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

filman48

Login to Send PM

I'm new here to this website, but found this information very helpful. I'm coming back to a pipe after a 16 year layoff and you forget a lot of these things over time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. bludgeoningdeath

bludgeoningdeath

Login to Send PM

I bought a 12 pack of 4 oz ball "mason" jars. I discovered that 3 oz's of tobacco needs a larger jar unless you really pack the tobacco in. What's your opinions on pressing the tobacco in the jars to make more fit?

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I bought a 12 pack of 4 oz ball "mason" jars. I discovered that 3 oz's of tobacco needs a larger jar unless you really pack the tobacco in. What's your opinions on pressing the tobacco in the jars to make more fit?

The 4 ounce jars are fine for small amounts, like half a tin (about an ounce or so). These small jars are great for small amounts, whether you want to store them away for aging, or just keep what's left in a tin or pouch fresh (the tobacco will dry out if left in the tin or a baggie for more than a few weeks).

I use 8 ounce Ball screw-top jars. I just bought a few more cases of them at Wal-Mart this week = $7.47 for a case of 12.

An 8 ounce jar will hold 2-3 ounce of tobacco. I press the tobacco firmly in the jar, leaving about 1/4 inch of "air space" at the top. This is enough air for the microorganisms to do their thing and for the tobacco to age.

For my flakes, the open empty jar is placed on its side and I stack the flakes in the jar, one on top of the other, until another flake won't fit. Of course, there is a bit more air around the flakes when packed this way, but that's fine; it also makes it easier to get a flake out, whole, when I decide to smoke the contents.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dishwashing soap & water, then an isopropyl alcohol rinse, distilled water rinse and they're ready to go. I also replace the lids.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Again, if new, cleaning new jars is superfluous, IMO (see posts and the scientific opinion in the brothers of briar link above in this thread that supports this).

When I wash the jars, they simply go into the dishwasher, by themselves, and washed using the sanitary (extra hot) cycle.

I re-use lids, if inspection shows no cracks and the red edge seal is still functional (I check this with my fingernail -- if the material indents easily, that seal is fine).

But hey, lids are cheap and sold separately wherever canning supplies are sold, like Wal-Mart. If using new seals gives you a warmer fuzzy, go for it

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to clean my new jars.

Now I don't.

It hasn't killed me yet, nor has it ruined any tobacco.

So far, so good...

I would definitely replace the lids, though, because they are too cheap to risk sacrificing your tobacco's flavour.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I only clean empty jars that were previously used for tobacco if the nose of the empty jar is such that I think it may affect the new (and different) blend I'm jarring up.

I washed some jars this week; some had held some HH Mature Virginia and others Wilke #191 ... the Marlin Flake going in needed a clean jar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. captainbob

captainbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only use mason jars. If previously used, I rinse and dry them. Otherwise, out of the box, I load the tobacco and twist the cap on tight. That's it! End of story.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In terms of cleaning my jars, I send mine out to a medical laboratory and have them professionally sterilized before I put tobacco in them. Can never be too safe when it comes to my tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dmcmtk, nurseman, phil67, gigger48, daimyo, mustanggt, astronomily, sparks, agnosticpipe, apiperisdown, andya27, buzkirk, shaintiques, dieseltech, edgreen, meatballj, pascal, shur, trailboss, jmatt, johnnyreb, gregprince