PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I was just curious how fussy all of you are about Mason jar prep? Do you go to great lengths to sterilize them or do some of you just use them right out of the box?
I hand-washed all of mine in a clean sink with antibacterial dish soap and a fresh dish cloth and the hottest water I could tolerate. I did the rings, lids and jars, rinsing thoroughly afterwards (with "ouch" hot water) then let them air dry on a clean towel.
I read elsewhere where a guy suggested to do what I did, then run the jars only through a dishwasher (by themselves) and heat drying prior to using.
What do you jar hoarders do?

Dec 24, 2012
There was a thread on another board where a microbiologist tested a bunch of mason jars that he bought new from a big box store. He found they were as clean as could be . So I don't do anything to mine the first time around. If I want to use them again, I just run the jars (not the lids) through a sanitize cycle on the dishwasher (no detergent) and then I clean off the lids with hot water and a bit of alcohol.
Here is the thread http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t7288-are-new-ball-jars-clean?highlight=mason+jars

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
Not sure if this will be any help because I didn't use Masson jars but at your local Walmart you can get jars that have a rubber seal under the lid. It makes an air tight seal for storing tobacco. I got the 10oz jars for 1.90 a piece and they store 10oz of liquid of course but 2oz of tobacco that's good enough for me. But for others they have the same air right jars all the way up to a quart that I saw. You should check it out because they look really nice on the shelf and a little piece of tape on the front will say what they are. Hope that helped

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Since I can at home I have a bunch of mason jars, if they are new(I tend to buy a bunch every fall for canning up my harvests), out of the box jars, I use them as are. If the last thing in them was tobacco and I'm refilling them with tobacco, I may rinse and dry them then sniff test the lid for ghosting, or if it's one of my regular blends, just refill it. Since they are non porous, usually a rinse is enough to knock out any lingering scents and flavors from the last blend. If I'm going from food to tobacco, or vice versa, or if I am simply putting an empty jar up for storage. I hand wash, dishwasher, soak and dry with sterilizer according to directions on sterilizer(you can find a powdered mix with water sterilizer cheap at brewing supply shops), then replace the sealing portion of the lid if neccessary. If it's for use I use them if not I store them capped.

Granted I worked food service for years and brew my own mead so I may go a bit overboard with the sterilization. But since I haven't managed to poison myself yet, well whistling keeps away dinosaurs.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I use the exact jars Louie is talking about for short-term storage. If its something I want to jar and dip into,it goes into the rubber seals. If I'm going to cellar something for the long haul I pop em in the masons and seal em up! I found that works really well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use these jars on the top shelf for long term storage as they have silicone gaskets. Like roth mentioned, the rubber ones go bad and it sucks to find out the hard way. I wash them very well before I put tobacco in. Unfortunately the ones I buy are expensive( ones that hold 2 pounds are 8.97 for one) but I trust them. I get them at Walmart.
DSC09706.jpg

filman48

Lurker
Feb 19, 2013
I'm new here to this website, but found this information very helpful. I'm coming back to a pipe after a 16 year layoff and you forget a lot of these things over time.

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
I bought a 12 pack of 4 oz ball "mason" jars. I discovered that 3 oz's of tobacco needs a larger jar unless you really pack the tobacco in. What's your opinions on pressing the tobacco in the jars to make more fit?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I used to clean my new jars.
Now I don't.
It hasn't killed me yet, nor has it ruined any tobacco.
So far, so good...
I would definitely replace the lids, though, because they are too cheap to risk sacrificing your tobacco's flavour.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I only use mason jars. If previously used, I rinse and dry them. Otherwise, out of the box, I load the tobacco and twist the cap on tight. That's it! End of story.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In terms of cleaning my jars, I send mine out to a medical laboratory and have them professionally sterilized before I put tobacco in them. Can never be too safe when it comes to my tobacco. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.