PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
8BWzHHM.jpg
Well, it was time for their quarterly cleaning. Here they are in all their glory! I take each pipe apart, then use a bristle cleaner and a paper towel inside the bowl, Bristle cleaner and alcohol inside the shank then pipe cleaners until white, paying special attention to where the tenon meets the mortise. Then I apply a small amount of alcohol to the rim and wipe with a paper towel. I set the bowl aside and run an alcohol soaked cleaner through the stem, the pipe cleaners until clean and dry. I take Crest 3D White toothpaste to the outside of the stem (magic on oxidation). They are then kept apart for 24 hours. Okay, old salts, am I missing anything or doing anything to harm my pipes with this process?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's pretty much how I do it, as well. I don't think you're skipping any steps. By the way, where are all your cobs? :wink:

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Hell, I only got one old pipe. I never clean it. Tastes like crap. Thought that's the way it's suppose ta be. ;) . Just kidding ! A clean pipe is a happy pipe. ;-)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One caution: The only time I've had the mortise hole expand (ironically, if you will, by drying and the wood shrinking) is when I've left the stem out for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.