PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Do you clean your cobs? I have 3 favorites that I have smoked 35-40 times each. So far I have only just passed a pipe cleaner through, scraped the bowl and then wiped it out with a paper towel. I have never used any alcohol or done any more rigorous cleaning. Am I supposed to do more extensive cleaning to make these last?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I got introduced to cobs only a little while back, and was instructed by forum fellows that they don't need cleaning. Indeed, they do not ... I am doing exactly what you are doing. You might consider buying a high quality stem, though, as stock stems on MMs are of a cheap fragile plastic.

Dec 28, 2015
One trick I learned from a friend and fellow forum member is when a cob starts tasting sour, leave it sitting out in the sunshine for a day. It freshens the pipe like magic. Other than that I just do what you have been doing.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have 3 favorites that I have smoked 35-40 times each.
Mark Twain would consider those to be just about properly broken in. :)
For the record, I like the MM stems ... soft, clench-able, wide-open and cheap to replace. Also, you can easily heat them and re-open the airway with a flathead screwdriver if you chew it partially shut. :puffy:
Tonight, I broke in one of my new MM Devil Anse Cobs ... another winner from Missouri.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
In addition to twisting a paper towel in the bowl and swabbing the stem, once in a blue moon I'll take the stem off and swab out the shank with a Dill's bristly. +1 on the occasional sun bath- it really does freshen them up remarkably.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Cobguy- what is the chamber size on those Devil Anse cobs? I'm imagining they're about the same as a Rob Roy Legend.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
For the record, I like the MM stems ... soft, clench-able, wide-open and cheap to replace.
I agree! I have 2 Legends I've had for 35 years with the original stems and still puffing away...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
@Cobguy- what is the chamber size on those Devil Anse cobs? I'm imagining they're about the same as a Rob Roy Legend.
It's 0.73 inches wide by 1.43 inches deep ... really close to a Legend or Washington but with a more rounded shape.

S

sunriseboy

I've returned to pipe smoking recently. After wasting a fair bit of money on a number of pipes I decided to get the cheapest pipe I could find. It just so happened that day I saw some Corn Cobs at the MM crew in Missouri. Bought two.

So I start smoking them and am very pleasantly surprised that they smoke just as well as the big brand names. I just don't get that?! Here I blew a lot of money and went broke until my next pension payment and am feeling rather crestfallen that I could have done without all of them. The CC is a stand-out performer. Smokes fairly cool for a short bit and I only have to light it once. Outstanding.

I'll be selling all the other pipes. The CCs are just great.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I clean cob bowls with a 40 caliber bore brush. The brush keeps the bowls completely free of cake. I have cobs 10+ years old and you can still see the kernel impressions in the bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.