PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
People really seem to be split when it comes to using the Brigham filters or not. They work really well and I use them pretty often, recently not so much as I mostly just smoke English blends in my Brigham and they don't seem to give off as much moisture as some. One thing I do hate is maintenance of filters, any filters. I use the paper medico ones with my cops cause I hate sucking in tobacco, and I really hate taking them out after a bowl, soggy and gross and smelly.
Anyway, when I do use the Brighams I am usually too 'lazy' to take out the stem, and rinse them out and put them somewhere to dry. Lets be honest, the Brigham filters require some maintenance if you're going to reuse them.

I just took one of the filters that was dirty that I had set aside and I rinsed it under warm water. It didn't get much cleaner and it still smelled gross, I threw it out. It wasn't old, it had probably only been used a few times if its one I had already rinsed in the past.
Any methods people use when cleaning these things? I thought I remembered someone storing their dirty ones in one place and then doing a bunch at once, if thats the case, how do you still get them somewhat clean after they've dried dirty? And about how many smokes on a single filter is too much? I never smoke more than twice on the same filter before I take it out.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
I found this information on a Brigham site ...
Our filters can be cleaned with water and left to dry before re-using. This is effective in a pinch, however, our studies reveal that this method reduces the filter’s ability to operate effectively after a few repeats.
I have also read, from this forum, some use alcohol to clean them too. I think I will use the alcohol method when my filter gets dirty. Water doesn't sound like it would do much.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I use mine at 1 per smoke, then it gets taken out and set aside. When I have 8-10 dirty, I fill a butter tub up with Hot, soapy water and let them soak for an hour or so. Rinse em off and let em dry. Only thing I find, is that I have to run a Bristle cleaner tru em to keep the channel opened up, as the wood tends to swell a bit near the metal tip. I get probably 20+ smokes out of each filter this way.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Soaking them and running the bristle cleaner are the tips I was looking for, looks like I just through away a perfectly good filter. I just through in a box on smoking pipes for my next order and when I clicked on it they showed three stages of the filter and the colouring of it. Apparently I have been a little too non excessive, if that makes any sense, when it comes to how many reuses of the filter. I've been throwing around the idea of another Brigham. I don't like how big they are, I don't even particularly like their looks as much as a lot of other pipes, but mine smokes great, feels great and I love the way the bit sits in my mouth, its just a good pipe and I like their filtration system and think it works really well.
Thanks guys.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Here's my two cents worth:

I have two piles of filters dirty and clean. When I have about five dirty filters, I soak them in everclear, and then rinse them off and allow to dry.

I never smoke one of my Brighams unless it's got a clean filter, and after ever smoke, I take that filter out to the dirty pile and pop in a clean one. They're pretty durable, and you can usually get about 40-50 bowls before it gets really dark. At about $2.00 for a pack of five they're cheap enough that I can always have a fresh clean one whenever the Brighams come around on my rotation. I find they work incredibly well at soaking up a lot of moisture from my pipes (not so much the tar), and it allows a draw like there's essentially no filter. On to of that, a pipe cleaner pases through with ease. I like their filter system more than any other system out there...

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I am usually too 'lazy' to take out the stem...

There are a few things in life that only take a few minutes, but are well worth doing.

Brushing your teeth, washing the dishes, changing your underwear and cleaning your pipe filters are examples.
Don't be so lazy.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I just do this;
After every smoke I check the filter for moisture. If it's dry I leave it in, if it's wet I take it out and leave it to dry either in the ashtray of my car or wrapped up in a tissue in my pocket. I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and put a dry filter back in. I don't throw them away until they turn dark brown and I never rinse them under water no matter what the website says. This ruins them and causes them to crack. Just let them air dry and toss 'em when they turn dark brown.

I've never had ghosting issues or foul odors in my pipes and I smoke nothing but Brigham (soon to have a couple Trypis in my collection).
Sometimes I smoke with out a filter but only with English b/c they never bite and are alot drier than aro's or VaPer's. I have smoked some English with a filter and noticed a slight difference in taste. It seemed smoother. Smoking VaPer without a filter was something I don't want to do again. I found the filter took alot of the bitter, pepper taste from the Perique and made it more mellow and easier on the palate.

luckylabrat

Lurker
Feb 23, 2014
Hey guys, first post here!

I suppose this is a silly question as I could just try it for myself, but I don't smoke often so I don't want to ruin the occasion if it doesn't work too well. Can I smoke my Brigham without the filter?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The jury is still out for me re the filters. I generally don't use them in any of my pipes. I've used them in my Country Club off and on. Frankly, they're cheap enough that when I need a fresh one I just toss the old one.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I keep a couple of filters in rotation per Brigham (alas, I only have one right now as I pared down my collection). I rotate them every few smokes and clean them with a soak in a small test tube and 99% alcohol (Everclear isn't available in Canada). After an overnight soak, the alcohol is usually a brownish colour and the filter is cleaner, so I rinse it with warm water and let it dry. This keeps me with a rotation of clean filters to use when I need it and they get quite clean (hardly any odour on them after a good soak and rinse).

Status
Not open for further replies.