PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I've come across a local ad where someone wants $50 for 18 pipes of various shapes/sizes/makes, including a nice churchwarden that I'm interested in... also has a cleaner of sorts and a stand with the lot.
I love DIY projects, and thought hey, learn to restore an old pipe. Keep what I want, sell the rest. Even if I sell 10 at $5 each I've made my money back right?
Anyways, watching a few YouTube videos and reading through a few posts, and thought I'd see if anyone had any pointers on how to do it, what to use, and if anyone has tried using an Ultrasonic Cleaner. I bought one a few weeks ago, used it on my fountain pens and motorcycle carbs, works great. Has a heater built in, 2.5 litre capacity... thought maybe use it and some Oxy to clean them?
Just the stems I'm thinking, don't want to mess with the bowls too much.
Thought it would be good to learn, plus I've only had a pipe less than a week, a corncob, so out of 18 pipes IO'm sure I'll get a few keepers nicer than what I have.
Thanks

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Will say, so far this vid seems to be really good... no mentioning of soaking or sonic cleaners, but rest seems good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-NNPc-twdQ

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Yeah I didn't see a reference to a sonic cleaner - does anyone have a time within the video that they can directly link to?
There is none... was just saying it has no reference to one but still seemed like a good video.
I'll probably do my cleaning in the same manner as in that video I linked to because of how well things came out. I haven't gotten the pipes yet, picking them up tomorrow... 18 pipes, likely keeping 3 for myself and probably eBay the rest. But, figured for the price, it's a good place to start learning, vs buying a $100 pipe and messing that up.
The Ultrasonic I was wondering about simply because of how well it's cleaned everything I've put in it so far. Though, everything so far has been steel, brass and aluminum with Simple Green HD... a bit more heavy duty than what I would do with a pipe.
Maybe I'll fill the Ultrasonic with bourbon and clean using that. :D
Seriously though I'll play it safe and follow the video.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Testimonial. Mike's soap trick works brilliantly! I use it all the time, and at this point have a bar of soap on my desktop, stems always go in smoooooothly and are easily lined up properly!
Dave

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Great idea!
I would just toss it in with my dirty .38 Special brass, and a half cup of Hornady One Shot.
Killing two birds, as the old saying goes.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Hello all,
I am the person who posted that video on YouTube. I use YT as a social media and I have been involved for years now with the community and met some of the most amazing people, some have even become very close friends. I posted that video a few years ago because I had started buying estate pipes and was restoring them myself. I had a few requests from members of the community that wanted to see how I was doing it, so I had filmed this step-by-step guide as a response to them.
That was a few years ago. Since then, I have learned many new tricks and modified my techniques. Some of the things I was doing were wrong (or not exactly how they should be done) and like anything else in life, I learned by my mistakes and did a lot of trial and error. I still buy estate pipes once a while and do my own restorations as a hobby but it is a much more delicate and lengthy operation! I have read a lot on the subject and learned a lot from the pros.
Also, I don't keep an eye on how many people watch my videos on YouTube so when I realized my video was mentioned on the forum, I watched it again and realized how outdated it was and how wrong I was at the time regarding some of the steps involved in the restoration process. For that reason, I have decided to take it down. It is not because I received a bad comment but simply because those kind of videos should be left to the pros! If you have questions regarding estate pipes restoration, I recommend contacting people like Mike, a gentleman and lover of the briar and who has a much deeper knowledge and experience in that field.
That being said, pipe restoration can be a lot of fun and for me it is part of the whole enjoyment. It is a very rewarding experience to be able to see the difference between the "before and after" of an old found treasure!
All the best in your restoration projects,
Olivier

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I like to ad if you're going to try to refurb a pipe for the first time, start with the cheapest and worst condition pipe you have. Preferably a broken pipe. No harm done if you mess it up. If you're planning on selling most of them remember, collectors would rather have an unrestored original than an non repairable restoration.

The Dr Grabow forum has thread dedicated to pipe restoration. It has a wealth of knowledge from the old timers who know all the tricks of the trade.

Best of luck.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Some of the best restoration information can be found on Steve Laug's Blog "Reborn Pipes". I do not always agree with all the methods used, but it is a great place to start the learning curve.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
That's a shame Olivier, it was the best done video I've seen on YouTube video as far as being easy to follow, detailed and well filmed. Was also nice to see something posted by a fellow Canadian! I think I heard in one of the videos the mention of Nova Scotia. :)
Was there anything in particular about the process that was wrong? I've seen the salt/alcohol method used in many how-to's, the diamond white buffing and carnauba wax as well. Watched/read a few that mentioned using OXY on certain stems for a quick soak, which makes sense, purely for the germ killing aspect which is more important to me than anything else.
Be interesting to hear what in your process changed.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Well, I have 18 estates here now to try stuff out with. The seller said all in good shape and no damage/cracks but, not so much... few have some deep bowl gouges and a crack, and the churchwarden I was most interested in has a curve to the stem (apart from the curve it should have). Worked out to $2.50/pipe so, bought them anyways. Haven't had the chance yet to go through them all with more scrutiny but know there are at least 2 where if I mess up, I could care less. :)
I'll keep reading through posts and blogs etc, though for the most part I'll be trying the basics from Olivier's video since the pipes came out looking really good. I'm sure new methods have come out in the past 2yrs, it's the same for pretty much any hobby you get into, there are always new ways and methods, but the basics probably stayed the same. From this thread alone, the only specifics mentioned that people would do different were to not use hot/warm water or beeswax... nothing too major to change.
Being new and pipes being cheap (I'll verify name/brand online first though) I don't want to jump into a hobby buying a lot of tools and such, or overwhelmed with methods... I'd like to get the basics sorted out and build from there.
I do have 2 clear(ish) pipe stems in the collection but will leave those until the end.
I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it... most are standard pipes, a couple look a bit too ornate to smoke, I assume just souvenir type pipes that were never meant to be smoked. A pair of meerschaum pipes, I think a falcon knock-off since feels like plastic not metal, and a clay one that's seen better days.
I will check out all the links/blogs etc mentioned though, so I do appreciate the info. :)

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Mike - Thanks for the additional comments. You are totally right, pipe refurbishing is a continuous learning path. I have a lot to learn from people like you, who have been doing this for years and have been fortunate enough to be thought a few tricks by our predecessors. I am thankful that nowadays there seem to be a lesser desire for secrecy. People share a lot more information and tons of good advice can be found on blogs and forums. I look forward to seeing your work via Skype someday!
Th - Thanks for the compliments. At the time when I filmed all this, I was just getting my hands on using a relatively new DSLR (Nikon D90). I had done some photography with it but not so much video work. It is a good camera and you can achieve very good results but it is also easy for the sensor to overheat quickly, making it unreliable for that kind of work… Nonetheless, I was very happy with the quality of the picture.
I am located in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia but originally from Quebec, which explains the funny accent! Our taxes here make it hard for all things tobacco but I am glad to see more and more fellow Canadians enjoying the hobby. I have met a few guys on YouTube that are from Nova Scotia and meeting them in person was just a fantastic experience. They all have become very good friends. I don’t know what it is about pipe smokers but we are a nice bunch… Very easy to get along with one another. I think it may be explained by the contemplative and relaxing nature of the hobby, maybe it somehow attracts a certain type of personality. Who knows! If you ever are in my area, let me know and I would be more than happy to meet another pipe smoker!
To answer your question, I guess there was nothing in the video that was extremely wrong but looking back at it and watching it now, I just thought it would be a smarter thing to take it down than to lead people down the wrong paths. For example, I don’t use isopropyl alcohol anymore for cleaning the airway. I think using the purest form of consumable alcohol such as grain alcohol or over proof vodka as Mike suggested is the way to go. You don’t want to impart any taste or color to the briar and preserve its natural look and properties. Another example is the sanding part. In the video I was doing the sanding using something that was way too coarse. I now use those small micro-mesh sanding pads, they range from 1,500 to 12,000 grit and I am much more careful especially in the junction area between the stem and the shank and also around any kind of logos. It has to be a work of love, not a rushed job! Anyway, I will not get into the details but there were just too many small elements that were wrong in that video. I think the main idea behind my decision to remove it from my channel is that I am still relatively new at doing restoration work and I in that video, I put myself out there with the intention of helping others like me but the bottom line is that I don’t think I have spent enough time doing that kind of work to try teaching others. Like Mike said, it is a long learning path and what works for one person may not work for you.
I understand why you are disappointed at my decision but when you really think about it, I think it was the right thing to do.
Let us know how your project goes and I look forward to seeing some before and after pictures!
Olivier

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Clearish stems? You've peaked my interest. Might they be GBD pipes? If so, I might be interested in buying them in unrestored condition.

Pics please.
Al, if you see this, remember you're done buying pipes for the year.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Toothpaste (regular crest/colgate) gets used all the time on my work bench. Good for cleaning metal, especially great on tarnished silver, even works for clearing up headlights on cars. Lucite, being a plastic, I'm sure toothpaste and a cloth would work pretty good before a final buffing. Minty too!
Who knows! If you ever are in my area, let me know and I would be more than happy to meet another pipe smoker!
May take you up on that. I've been to every province in Canada, except the Maritime ones... hoping to rebuild the motorcycle I got this year (first bike) and after I learn to ride it, take a road trip out that way. LONG trip but, be a great way to see it, and like you, I also do photography, so we can smoke and compare Canon vs Nikon. :D
Speaking of, was nice yesterday, grey and cold today... I usually photograph stuff on my bench when there's decent light so the detail/quality is there but, dark today, may have to post pics another time else won't be able to see much. I use Photobucket so, I'll post a link when I have them up there. Not a 'for sale' page of inventory, it's just where I keep photos of projects I have.
...but if someone wants to buy them let me know. A few I won't try restoring, like this 'Elsi Bruyere' with a stag carved in the side... saw a few online selling for more than I paid for the lot so, I'm not messing it up. :)

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Well, no photos yet, but, for now here's the photo that was online when I saw the ad for the pipes.
SmokingPipes-LotNov2014_zps709a0878.jpg

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
Not to hijack the thread but there are 3 people here that know way more than I. I'm very new to the hobby as seen by my member start date. I have restored 1 pipe which was a Kaywoodie Straight Bulldog flame grain B I salt/alcohol treated and gifted to my father for his birthday in September.
I've recently received an Anniversary present from my girlfriend that is a Bari Wiking Freehand. It needed a little cleaning with Everclear through out. All in all a very clean estate purchase I her part. It smokes like a dream!
Finally my question. I've no idea how to tell one kind of stem from the next, how do I? After some closer inspection, I've noticed a few very dark green swirls on the stem in a couple places. The stem also smells like burnt rubber. Vulcanite? Beginning oxidation?
The swirls are hard to see by eye but I can try to get a pic from my phone. It should be noted the stem has a Bari stamp and wood ring on it. I too would like to get into restoring pipes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Great Smokes, Donavan

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Finally took photos of most of the pipes (missed one) and uploaded to Photobucket. Figured document the before/after.
If anyone interested, here's a link... I think I got the brands correct, but 0 idea of age.
http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/THRobinson/library/Smoking%20Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.