PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
My understanding is that you aren't supposed to use alcohol on acrylic as it can ruin it and cause it to crack and shatter.
So, what do you all use for cleaning your acrylic stems?

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Is it wise to wash pipe steams (all kinds)? That's what I do under cold water when cleaning a pipe. then run pipe cleaners through it?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I think it's Perpex stems that can be damaged by alcohol. I use alcohol on my Castello stems and have soaked the opaque colored stems for over a half hour to cut the tar with no issues. 8O

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Huh. Good to know. If daveinlax is ok with it, it's good for me for sure, I just could have sworn people say it can get so brittle it can shatter with enough exposure to alcohol.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I think it's Perpex stems that can be damaged by alcohol.
In my experience, prolonged exposure of Perspex stems (or at least my Perspex-like stems) to alcohol can be quite harmful. Brief exposure typical to airway cleaning has not apparently damaged my Perspex stems. According to allplastics.com, isopropyl alcohol can be used to clean Perspex.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I've heard of this before but never experienced any ill effects of alcohol on acrylic. Some have mentioned lime juice and water mixed on other forums but I've never ventured to try it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Pampers hypo allergenic baby wipes work best, you can wipe your ass and your stem at the same time. I will leave it up to you which goes first.
I really do crack myself up sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.