PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Well, my 17 year old son took one of my pipes the other day (a Peterson Racing green bulldog that I bought at J Fox in Dublin) and smoked pot out of it. Ordinarily, this would be amusing. I partook myself as a younger man. Unfortunately, his problem is a little deeper, as are his problems with school and the law. I'm a single Dad with 3 teenagers. I have two girls who give me no trouble at all. They get good grades, excel in lots, and usually spend their weekend nights in. My son, however, is a different story. I have been so worried and upset I have not really felt like posting much on these forums (although I'm smoking lots and lots of pipes, but no cigs yay!). I'm sending him away to a treatment/wilderness camp for 60 days. It's extraordinarily expensive, but hopefully it will help. It will certainly be pleasant for me and my daughters.
I was told by a guy at my local B&M that a briar cannot recover if pot is smoked in it. He didn't smoke much in there, but it does smell. I'm thinking of sending to Mike Myers at www.walkerpiperepair.com/. he's done some good work for me in the past. However, if it's pointless I won't even try.
Anyone had any experience with this.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'll bet your son will get through this. I did the same when I was younger. Sounds like your doing the right thing. I would clean do the salt/alcohol on it, wipe it with spirits and smoke some heavy Lat blends in it, it will recover! I'd be careful mailing it, as its currently "tainted" with an illegal substance. Unlikely, but it could get you in trouble. :roll:

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Sorry to hear of your struggles. I have a teenage boy as well with some challenges so I can certainly relate.
As for the pipe, I think an alcohol retort along with a thorough ream and clean should do the trick. I've become a firm believer in retorts since trying it out on several estates and I'm confident that would get the funk out real quick.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Agreed with the above. Rehab it yourself with alcohol, salt and some heavy smoking once dry. It should go away after all that. And yeah, lock em up.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Natibo, Like everyone else, my sympathies to you for your troubles with your son. Every parent knows how hard this is. I wish for the best for you and your son and hope that his wilderness camp does him some good.
As far as your pipe goes, I doubt it is ruined. I'd ream or sand down the cake and then do a salt/alcohol treatment. Soak the stem in Everclear for a while and then pipe cleaners dipped in Everclear.
If that doesn't work, get some Lakeland tobacco. The ghost of Lakeland will cover up anything!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
As one of the "lucky" parents, I'd not wish your sons issues on anyone. The wilderness rehab may be the ticket if he can embrace the challenge. Kids can shock you sometimes and I'm hoping yours gets the help he needs. Although I'm hardly an authority on recovery I can attest that had I maintained the "people, places and things" that controlled much of my misspent youth, things may have not turned out as well as they did for me.

If he were my son he would have been thrown out of the house by now. No one messes with my stuff, not even my own seed. On a more serious note, how old is he? what are his issues, you might need to consult a professional in this one. Kids with single parents sometimes have anger towards a certain parent and they vent it out to their loved ones. I know because I was raised by my dad and grandparnets. I hated my mother till I was in my late 20's. Im 35 now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Time and elbow grease heals all briars. And a few smokes while the rum still flavors the tobacco. If you

can get through the troubles, you and your son may end up closer. I managed my life pretty well as a kid,

in the sense that I insulated my folks from all of my turmoil, of which there was plenty. But to them, I was

a model kid. I didn't think they could handle it. Actually, people need some push back from their kids or

it makes distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.