PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Can you clean a Cob the same as a Brier pipe ? I smoked one bowl of Sutliff Frosty Mint in my favorite cob and now I can taste a hint of mint every time I smoke this pipe ... Talk about ghosting ! just one bowl of this stuff and boom pipe is ghosted

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Seeing that it's only a cob which is only a few dollars why not simply dedicate it to the Frosty Mint. Although you can ream a cob you can't clean/treat it the same way as a briar such as a salt treatment, etc.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
well didn't want to throw it out because its a little different than most I've seen. Its a large think bowl where most I've come across are not even close .. And don't think I'll be smoking any more of this mint just not my thing so I guess I'll just try and smoke this pipe till that mint taste goes away

Anyone want to trade for this frosty mint lol

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've smoked 5 Brothers thru a couple of cobs that were ghosted with Mixture 79 and after about 10 bowls the ghost was gone. I now dedicate a couple of cobs and briars to Mixture 79.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That's what ya get for smoking something so obnoxious sounding as 'Frosty Mint'! :wink:

I went through a similar encounter the first, and LAST time I tried Ennerdale, which was luckily in a cob. I not only immediately tossed out the vile tobacco, but the cob along with it placed in a hazmat bag. I wasn't as lucky many years ago when I first tried Mixture No.79 as that was in, as I remember, a Savinelli or Stanwell, but eventually that horrid taste left rather quickly after I smoked a few bowls of other tobaccos.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I just went through this problem this week. I have a Country Gentleman I ghosted with Ennerdale - almost a year ago. Probably 100 bowls later it was still ghosted. I cleaned the shank out real well with alcohol and cotton swabs first then I filled the cob with grounds from freshly brewed coffee; they were still damp and hot but not dripping wet. It sat for about 8 hours and I cleaned out the coffee grounds and wiped the bowl out with a paper towel and let it dry overnight. This morning it was "exercised": no more ghost!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Seems to me that these ghosts are the result of additives meant to enhance the flavor so that their ghosts are friendly, or at least familiar.

Funny how we can smoke the original ghosting blend enjoyably, and then complain about the remnants of their existence in our pipes.

Of course, we don't always want the same experience and do want to taste the purity of a particular blend or genre.

Purists dedicate their pipes to distinctive blends for this reason. A pipe for this and a pipe for that.

To each his its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.