Cleaning a Briar Pipe with Pledge (Multi-Surface Cleaner), not lemon!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeguy23

Lurker
Dec 30, 2015
What do you guys think about using Pledge Multi Surface Cleaner.....it seems like it wouldn't be too harsh on the outside of a briar pipe. It's safe on electronics too. I've heard and read on here some guys use wipes. What do you guys recommend. Also I was considering using American Honey Whiskey to clean my stems, however brig that it's made with real honey extract...would this linger too long in my stem....and create almost a "build up" over time? Thanks in advance!

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Why not just buff it using olive oil?
Edited to add, be careful with alcohol as it will kill the finish on the pipe

pipeguy23

Lurker
Dec 30, 2015
Appreciate the advice. No I was ref to the stem only in regards to the alcohol. But appreciate the warning lol.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I use a rag that has been saturated with Pledge. I keep it in a zip lock bag. I've been using it for years and it hasn't harmed my pipes. I've been using Pledge on my Falcon bowls for 8 yrs and they still look new.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I would say my only issue with it would be using it on the stem and then putting that in your kisser. I suspect that whatever is in Pledge is not meant for human consumption. Though it's minimal and may not cause any significant health risk, the taste might be enough to avoid the bite area of the stem.
Aside from that, barring any scientific evidence, do what works. So many of us overthink s**t in this hobby.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Would you wipe your pipe down with bleach? The cleaners you want are those designed to go in your mouth. You'll taste something with a strong taste. Don't be a dummy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Murphy's Oil Soap.
+1
Just keep it out of the chamber.
Olive oil is also a good choice.
There are about one gazillion threads about pipe maintenance to be found on the web. Do a Google search typing pipesmagazine and "clean a pipe", or some variant, and you'll find a lot of information, much of it horrible and some of it brilliant.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally only use my Dunhill pipe rags. https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=84864
Nothing but the best for my pipes. The rag will last around a year or so. I used to use only denicare pipe wax, as it was also designed for pipes. I am not a fan of anything not designed for a pipe. I also use Everclear for the inside of my pipes as it is digestible, where alcohol is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.