PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there folks.
My pipe restoration and clean up work has lagged somewhat lately, this due largely to the impending arrival of my first kid. Having a partner on bed-rest, and a house to prepare has meant that most of my non-work waking moments are spent "getting ready".
That said, I managed to claw out a few hours in and around World Cup matches to clean up three of the pipes that are sitting in my pipe-cave. The two Danes are parts of a large group of estates that I purchased in the winter. The LHS Sterncrest is a pipe that I won a couple weeks ago on eBay and originally posted about here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lhs-sterncrest-one-for-the-resto-box-pic-heavy
First up is the Stanwell 64 Golden Contrast. This is a keeper which I have high hopes for. I love the shape, the size, the weight and the grain, not to mention the crazy tight birdseye on the plateau. This is one of the original Sixten Ivarsson shapes for Stanwell, and the Golden Contrast stain was pioneered at Stanwell by Tom Eltang, before becoming one of his hallmark finishes.
Before:

After:

Next up is a Jobey Dansk 2. These pipes, as I understand it, were created for Jobey in the 1970s by Karl Erik to compete with the other Danish freehands which were taking the market by storm. This particular pipe was in good condition, with the exception of some bleaching of stain up near the top of the bowl and a heavily oxidized stem. I did re-stain this pipe to help even out the finish. I did this in stages by applying a light brown stain, flaming it to fix the stain, and then wiping the pipe down with successive cotton balls dipped in isopropyl alcohol.
Before:

After:

Here is the finished look at the LHS Sterncrest. For before shots, click the link at the top of this post. I love the shape and size of this pipe. It had some big dings and dents around the rim which I elected to leave in, versus lift out. I think they add character and speak to the history of the pipe, and its use, in ways that I like. This pipe is for me, so I don't feel badly about keeping the dents in. I should also note, that as part of the surface cleaning of this pipe I used acetone to lift the old wax, oils and stain from the pipe. I then stained the pipe with dark brown before sanding the pipe with 600 grit and wiping it down with acetone to create a relief grain I liked. Then I did a tint with light brown and isopropyl alcohol to finish the colour.

Thanks for looking, as always I welcome any feedback or tips/tricks to enhance the quality of my work.
All the best,
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Fantastic work as always Pat. That Stanwell in particular look like it would be a fine Engllish or Balkan smoker. I love the brown contrast stain - it really pops to my eyes.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Great stuff as always my friend. I am VERY partial to that Stanwell as well but really like the look of the Jobey.
Congrats sir. Give Mrs. Russell my best

May 31, 2012
I love that Golden Contrast!
One of the more difficult Stannies to find, and that's a great shape too!

The 64 is like the big brother to the 63 and in my experience they always seem to give great smokes.
Yours is a fairly early example of the GC I'd say, because of the rounded S inlay, that font was only used mid to late 80's, maybe early 90's too but I'm unsure, later the inlay S font became the more familiar angular version we're used to seeing.
As I understand it, the GC series was hand-finished at the Stanwell factory by Eltang himself, which if true, would explain why they're quite scarce and the series didn't last too long due to the intensive time involved.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/blog/1/2012/08/Tom-Eltangs-Early-Career.cfm
You gotta good one there!

:puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Beautiful work Pat, you"ll be shining a little butt before too long, you also will learn how to use talcum powder, just don't absentminded powder your pipe. :laughat:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
just don't absentminded powder your pipe. :laughat:
Ahem... isn't that how this whole mess started? 8O
Thanks, Bradley. We just hit week 28. Floors are being installed today and tomorrow, the nursery is painted, I'm picking up the crib today. My mother in law arrives in about 10 days. Good times. Does PMon have room for another in his dog-house? I might want to take a short vacation before this baby arrives.
Troy, thanks for the link and thoughts on the Stannie. That all jives with what I was able to dig up on GC and the shapes as well. I'll let you know how she burns. Right now I'm waiting on picking up some black stain to re-do the plateau.
-- Pat

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Nice work, and I especially like the Stanwell.
Best of luck with the baby. Just remember, never use oxyclean on the baby, or bristle pipe cleaners, or the buffing wheel, and you'll do just fine.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Guys, thanks for all the kind words. I'm pleased with these, and will be more so once I've re-stained the plateau on the Stanwell, and taken a whitewall brush to the plateau on the Jobey.
Life is very full at the moment, so I'm not getting the shop time I'd like. I have a large backlog of pipes to finish up... But these make me happy. I think the scoop shape of the LHs is one of my new favourite shapes.
Cheers,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.