PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I used to think to do this more often. Mix a spoonful of table salt in a glass of warm water. Pour some in your hand and then inhale it through one nostril..yuh...you sort of retro hale it...and spit it out...

Do it a few times in each nostril. Why?

http://www.yogameditation.com/Articles/Issues-of-Bindu/Bindu-3/Nose-Cleansing

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I just bought myself a Neilmed neti-pot and tried this a few times. There is some merit to this, even if it seems a bit odd during the actual cleansing. I definitely felt more clear-headed and awake. Kinda wishing I had remembered to do it this morning actually!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These nasal passage purges probably help a lot of people with particular allergies and conditions, but if a person isn't have particular problems, I think it might be best to leave your nose alone.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I find myself congested quite often and my wife suggested I try one of those tea pot thingies. I just cant see me pouring water up my nose and not drowning myself?? And now they have an electric pump one...I just don't seeme surviving the whole ordeal. :lol:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
jkrug, just put salted warm water in the palm of your hand and pinch off one nostril with the other.

Snuff the (salted) water into your other nostril. You won't be breathing it. Do it several times in each nostril.

If you've got a honker like I do, you may have a 'runny' nose for awhile afterward, but it's all good.

If you read the link in the first post you'll learn more about the benefits of this practice.

I don't do it all the time, but if I remember to do it, at least once in awhile.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Probably more advisable is a Netipot with distilled water. It will be more comfortable, as it is pH balanced, and is is much wiser to be lavishing distilled water through the nose, as the mucosa is very absorbent and there is risk of infection.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
tarak, who said anything about distilled water? I use tap water. lol.

My nasal mucosa are smoked pretty thoroughly to begin with.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Great way to freak out your doctor at your next stress test but not a good way to keep the ol' hooter clean. Better off using a hanky or a sleeve. Unless, of course, you really are passing out from a freakishly low level of electrolytes.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Don't knock it til you've tried it. This is doctor recommended as opposed to inhalers such as Afrin. I don't have major allergy issues but the pollin level is so high right now. When I use it, there is a noticeable difference in clear headedness and breathability.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I had a stress test last week. Treadmill variety. Nuclear trace and everything. The occasional use of a saline nasal rinse utilized potable water has not caused me any problems.

I'll be 67 this weeek, and have a-fib. I'm sure the cardiologist is chomping at the bit to sell me a pacemaker.

My a-fib is not typical, and I've had an ablation. Currently using prescription drugs to 'maintain', but I really don't think I need them anymore.

I follow up with him about the Echo/stress tests this Fri.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I purchased a Neti Pot when I was younger.
Almost drown myself.
Yes, I think I understand "waterboarding" now.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I use regular tap water too when I neti pot, it's really simply once you get the hang of it, just putting water in my hand and snorting it up I don't think would end well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.