Clay Pipes: Old Or Modern? (With Pictures).

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last week I asked the forum if my small collection of clay pipes could be dated by the fact that they are painted in the mouthpiece. I asked as I intend to donate them to a local folk museum but would feel a bit of an idiot if I stated they were pretty old whereas in fact they could be of recent manufacture.
I was asked to supply photos so here they are. They are quite distinctive with some markings that mean nothing to me so any help in dating these would be great. If a maker could be suggested that would be the icing on the cake!
Pipe 1...
2x21-600x450.jpg

3x17-600x450.jpg

4x15-600x450.jpg

5x12-600x450.jpg

Pipe 2...
1x20-600x450.jpg

2x22-600x450.jpg

4x16-600x450.jpg

5x13-600x450.jpg

6x11-600x450.jpg

Pipe 3...
1x21-600x450.jpg

2x23-600x450.jpg

3x18-600x450.jpg

Pipe 2 clearly has what looks very much like a thistle on the front of the bowl suggesting Scottish origins and pipe 3 has a distinct maker's mark though I am unable to decipher what it actually says.
Any help would be much appreciated folks :puffy:
I have tried to smoke two of these but for whatever reason I just couldn't get them to 'work'....there must be some technique to clay pipe smoking that I have yet to acquaint myself with :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

Great pictures. I have had one clay pipe, but I hate the stems, even with the wax on the end. P&C has a clay pipe with a vulcanite (or plastic?) stem, which only kinda appeals to me, but it would be nice is some artisan made some unique clays with regular stems. The P&C pipes just lack a little... suaveness. The bands on them just look like they aren't sized to the pipe correctly. It would be nice to have a classic cutty with a nice stem.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Cosmic, here ya go: http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/
Mawnansmiff - The clays look like the real McCoy but without any providence where the came from it can be hard to tell. A lot of modern clay pipe makers still use original press molds. We have a couple we use (circa 1900) with our clay pipe business but we put our own Maker's Mark on them to distinguish them from pipes made by the original pipe maker.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Can't help with the OP, but Cosmic...http://www.dawnmist.org/pipesale.htm Cutty's are near the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.