PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I just bought this beauty on ebay. I know next to nothing about clay pipes other than they get super hot while smoking and impart little to no flavor.
Is there anything I need to know to keep it in good shape? I'm assuming it doesn't need a break in or cake build-up. Will it ghost if I smoke Lakelands in it? The stem is ebonite if that makes a difference.

K

klause

Smoke it. No breakin. No ghost. No cake necessary or desirable.
Enjoy.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Happy New year to you! What you have there is a pre-colored clay pipe with either a plastic or vulcanite stem probably made in Germany. The spiky club style of pipe shows up both in the style of carved meerschaum pipes as well as clay pipes and fragments of the same frequently surface if you are an active privy digger or Victorian dump excavator. The style was modeled on a popular form of walking stick that was common in the countryside with farmers and those who fancied themselves as country folks. In terms of clay pipes you have something you can clean as you would any other pipe but it certainly would not withstand being chucked into burning hearth embers to clean out any old tobacco residue.
clay_three_zpsdz6i8zbo.jpg

To achieve that form of cleaning you need one of these types of clay pipes as shown above. You have one advantage with your current pipe in that as the mouth piece is not made of clay you will not suffer from 'pipe notches' on your teeth, something that I have quite a few of from years of clay pipe smoking. Just remember the spikes on the pipe are not just for affectation. These pipes get very hot and those spikes are there so that you don't burn your finger prints of your digits. As an after thought was this one of Pipes & Cigars German imports or did you just stumble across it somewhere else?

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Thanks, condorlover. I did buy it from a German dealer. The listing says it is based on a 1900's design.
I was searching for clay pipes on ebay and that one caught my eye due to the attractive design and the mouth piece. I believe it was a post by you, condorlover, where I first saw mention of 'pipe notches' in one's teeth and I wanted to avoid those.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
More than likely. For $10 you can't go wrong with that pipe. Just remember that those pipes work best for twists and plugs as they tend to burn at a lower temperature than some of the modern gloop in a tin that passes for tobacco. Let me know how you get on with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.