Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Clay Pipes

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I know they're out there as I have been looking at them. I know they might be a bit more fragile and have a smaller bowl. I even know ya can toss them in a fire or self cleaning oven to clean them.

Anyone here smoke them regularly?

Been thinking of getting a couple for ropes. The eye patch and parrot come later, yarg.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, Saintpeter, since they are 'neutral' I use them regularly for comparing one tobacco with another. You could look at my recent "Stonehaven vs Germain's Rich Dark Flake" topic as an example, if you wish. Even good clays are very cheap, but the bowl gets very hot and it is easy to break the stem.

Further, if I rub out some flake or plug and find I have some left over after filling a briar bowl I will often smoke the rest in a clay, before lighting up the briar, in order to get a 'true' idea of what the tobacco tastes like.

Why don't you experiment and see how you find the clays - definitely not 'travelling pipes'!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. dryseason91

dryseason91

Login to Send PM

I got two for cheaps on ebay, and although they're an interesting addition to the collection I rarely find myself reaching for them. But give em a try by all means.

Tenants of the house,
    Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.
    - 'Gerontion'
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. seanlamb63

seanlamb63

Login to Send PM

I smoke one rather often when doing Civil War living histories, but mine is just a clay bowl, with a reed stem. I have to say I enjoy it, it smokes hot, but its clay so it's expected. They aren't very practical in this day and age, but if you find yourself in an Ol' Timey mood, it’s nice to have on hand. I use the one I have to smoke McClellands Series 221-B Black Shag mostly, but it is nice for a traditional rope every now and then.

Sean Lamb

"You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within. Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger" (J.R.R.T)
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did a search - came across this :
    http://www.bestmadeco.com/products/clay-pipe

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Here's a link for clay pipes. I've heard good things about KC Ellis' Penn Valley.

http://www.pipeshoppe.com/

I had a clay pipe years ago, soon after I got it, I placed it down on the table (rather gently, I thought) and it shattered. Clay pipes are fragile.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thank you all, I'm going to aggressively mouse click these shortly.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. seanlamb63

seanlamb63

Login to Send PM

Civil War Clay Pipe

These are always the ones that I use.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I smoke my clay about once a week. It's a Dutch Gouda very similar to the ones pictured above. I enjoy this pipe. IMO Burleys and Latakias smoke best in it but occasionally I've had good luck with Virginias. Go for it. It's a different smoking experience.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@rothnh much better prices there too. I like that 16" colonial.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have the Sherlock and Elizabethan from Penn Valley, love them both. Smoke the Sherlock at least once a week.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, Roth the long white clays shown are very like those I use. I suggest using only those made of pure white 'pipe clay'. Others may have impurities which taint the taste of the tobacco. However, unlike those I smoke these don't seem to be 'tipped'. So I would suggest coating/waxing the very end of the mouthpiece or it may well stick to your lip!

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any time I sit by the fireplace I seem to smoke mine; so I guess that's about 3-4 times a year. I just set it in the coal bowl down when I'm done; no reason to clean it by hand.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just set it in the coal bowl down when I'm done; no reason to clean it by hand.

I prefer to let mine get all black and brown!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have a large collection of reproduction (and a few antique) clays ranging from small cuttys to huge tavern pipes but find I smoke briars and cobs much more regularly. Partly just because they are more practical but also because clays can intensify some tobaccos to the point where they become downright unpleasant. For this reason I tend to reserve them for blends I find bland in a briar. I would say though it is definitely worth having at least one as they are just right for some blends. If you're going to try one and want the very best, I can thoroughly recommend the hand-made clays by Heather Coleman of Dawnmist Studio. I have a lot of her pieces and they really are superb.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two, while I don't smoke them all time, they are great smokers. As others said, the bowl can get really hot. Also they definitely aren't clenchers.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@saintpeter, I've wanted to buy some of those very same pipes myself! They are some beautiful pipes! Let us know how they smoke for you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those look like some nicely proportioned shorter clay pipes, and I like the swirled color finish to the clay.
    My only advice is for longer clay pipes -- like mine is about 15 inches -- you have to get seated, settled and
    organized to smoke. That long stem is entirely different in handling than shorter pipes even that have fairly
    long stems. Your other arm and hand, and all of the furniture, gets in the way, so you have to think about
    what you're doing. Mine is still in good shape and unbroken, but I do know you have to observe a learning
    curve and watch your step with a long clay pipe, more so than with a mere ten-inch churchwarden for example.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. dermotfahy

dermotfahy

Login to Send PM

I smoke clays very regularly, probably every fourth bowl or so. Having tried pipes from many modern makers, as well as antique pipes, I can recommend them as probably the purest smoking experience there is. To keep your lips from sticking to the stem, melt some sealing wax (The kind that comes in a stick for sealing letters.) and, after plugging the draft hole with something that can be removed after the wax sets but before it hardens completely, dip the stem in to coat it with wax. While the Penn Valley pipes are good, in my opinion the best clays available are antiques from Goedewaagen. The texture of the clay is incomparable. If you can find a Goedewaagen cutty and wax the bit, then you will have an excellent pipe to clench.

I've had the opportunity to observe human beings for seven decades, and if you do it for that long and don't have a foul disposition, either you're simple or you haven't been paying attention.
    - David E. Petzal
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of Lepeltier clays and I do recommend them. More conventional in appearance, and they are easy to clean and handle with the double walled bowls.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. juddeern

juddeern

Login to Send PM

I personally smoke a clay almost exclusively these days I can't seem to put it down. My wife bought me a clay about a year ago a 7" dutch gouda style something or other from the pipeshoppe. I completely agree there is a bit of a learning curve they do not smoke like a briar at all and they can be finicky at times. The trick I found is to pack the bowl a little tighter, tricky considering how fragile they are and a very slow gentle smoke is the best approach as long slow draws. Done right even at 7" they provide a surpassed coolness I've never seen before in a pipe. It took me a year though to learn the nuance of clay pipe smoking. The basic idea is to keep the tobacco barely smoldering any more and you'll get some serious tongue bite and burnt fingers touching the bowl. I wrap my index finger over where the tenon would be if it had one and use my middle finger and thumb to rest it on almost like making a fist. You can clench a clay and I do so regularly but I don't recommend it unless you have some experience with gently clenching your pipes. I get around the stickiness by while you might find this a bit gross moistening the tip with saliva. By making the tip wet it will no longer stick to my lip.

As for cleaning them, I just use spirits and a gentle rub on the outside. If you keep up with it spirits and a extra fluffy pipe cleaner should be sufficient to keep the stem clean on the inside. Eventually at some point fire cleaning may become necessary but I haven't needed to yet.

The other great thing about smoking a clay pipe is the rest time approx 2 minutes or less. Basically the time it takes for the bowl to become cold again. Clay dissipates heat extremely well and why the bowl also becomes so damn hot.

I hope you enjoy them. They are a wonderful smoke much better than I would have ever expected. If they burn hot at first pack your tobacco a little tighter to promote a good smoldering and smoke them a little slower, like I said clay can be a little finicky.

Good Luck let us know how it turns out and I hope this helped

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   renfield, cortezattic, ben88, sablebrush52, lightxmyfire, mumbles, dmcmtk, odobenus