PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I saw this in another Forum and thought that you guys might

enjoy watching this old clip about Clay Pipe making....

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=47138

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Check ebay.I just got another batch of clays from a German bunch. Excellent prices, good selection, and fast shipping

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I just ordered a collection of German pipes last week myself. A bit annoyed because I ordered them a week ago and they're still not even marked shipped though.
Nifty vid though mate, fun watch!

deyomatic

Lurker
Oct 27, 2010
That's a great video. Too bad they don't make documentaries like that anymore.
I got some German ones also from ebay. If it's the same place, don't worry about it, the auction said 15 days and it came well before that, but I was never given any kind of confirmation number.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Very cool video. Thanks.

Have any of you guys ever smoked a clay? What was it like?

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
For those who are interested in extraordinary Clay Pipes in

the old world traditions, this Australian Pipe Maker works in

an old art form and tradition.

http://www.claytobaccopipes.com/

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Thanks unclearthur and deyomatic --- I was biggining to suspect that they just didn't mark it, but they didn't respond to my messages so I was worried (I sent one in German and one in English even just in case heh heh) -- Still. I can live with bad communication as long as the stuff gets here.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
"Have any of you guys ever smoked a clay? What was it like?"
I love clays. They smoke very cool and they are my pipe of choice for new blends because I feel they allow me to taste the tobacco better. If you have the kind without the coated tip they will stick to your lips, a small price for a great smoke.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The cure for sticking to the lips is either dipping the end of the stem in a tall glass of Guinness, or in a bit of melted wax. Both work but I like the first best! Mason, if you ever stop in Osseo give me a holler and I will bring you up a clay.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I put a bit of masking tape on my clay stems to protect my teeth. . .. My lips usually rest on it as well.
I have strong teeth so I don't worry about the vulcanite stems --- though I know damn well 40 years from now if I even have teeth they'll be down a good 20-40% of their size, at least my 'clenchers' on the right anyway heh heh. Even so -- the clay stems worry me over my teeth. I like being the one member of my family with good teeth than you very much heh heh.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have a little one. Seems it's the only size sold these days. I would like to get one of a more regular size, such as a Dunhill size 5 or 6.

Small ones only make holding it difficult for me. I have no desire to see what it was like smoking one 200 years ago. I want to smoke one that is comfortable to hold.

Does anyone know if larger ones are being made today?

Last year I found a woman in Englad who had been making larger clay pies. I contacted her, but found that she was no longer making them.

bjeorn

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2010
i used to have a clay churchwarden when i was a gardener aaahhhh fond memories of sitting under a pear tree and puffin away on (new prince) a store blend va/burley with maple and vanilla (my first pipe tobacco) what a way to spend a summers afternoon
i felt like a hobbit :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.