Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
During my recent travels in the UK I was put in touch with a dealer with a large stash of J Pollock clays. In the past I would buy a couple of hundred at a time from Mr. Pollock in Manchester back in the late 1980s. Apparently they are no longer even being made by the people who acquired the 'Pollock Molds' so this lot represents the end of the line so to speak. Sadly most of these clays are figurines and 'pub' pipes but at 7 Pounds Sterling each probably represent really good value. I have enough clays in storage to keep me chugging on for eternity however if enough interest existed on the forum I might be prepared to buy up the lot so that an orderly supply of quality clays could be guaranteed. I cannot do much until the end of June as I am running around Europe and then I have to get the Universal Import tobacco stuff out but if there is enough interest I would consider making a bulk purchase. Any thoughts post on the forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gouda in The Netherlands makes a classic clay pipe, in the town of Gouda, same place the

cheese is made. You might shop those and see if they are to your liking. If you buy in

quantity, ordering direct may work best. They likely can ship them so they arrive in good

shape. My sister carried a 14" Gouda back to me on a flight, then wrapped it and sent it

through USPS, and it arrived whole! I marvel.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Terrible pipes from the Netherlands! I prefer and always recommend the English ones both for durability and safety in terms of lip cancer etc. That is of course my personal opinion and 14" pipes are not exactly easy to carry around whilst short clays are very portable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yipes. What about the Gouda pipe suggests the association with lip cancer? It has a plastic coated stem.

It that the problem? Can these be covered or replaced? Do U.S. online retailers carry the J. Pollock pipes.

I'd only need one or two. Don't want health problems. The Gouda pipe isn't a regular smoke, but I've

smoked it a few times. A smaller clay pipe might be useful.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I find Gouda a bit on the fragile side. If it has a plastic or glazed stem then your are fine. As always smoke what you enjoy. I use clays for tasting tobacco and giving them away and sadly they seem to be vanishing from the UK.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you phonomet. I hate to see these things knocked down on Oi Vay for $30 each when if I can buy the whole lot up at a few pounds each it makes sense for the community to have access to a large inventory which will last us all. I was chatting with 'woodsroad' about the same subject today.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Would these be available to us for sale one at a time, or would we need to gather up forum interest and provide a number for you in total?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This is just over- the-top generous on the part of Simon. I'm really looking forward to seeing and using these pipes, since some of the designs and the molds that they were cast from go way back in time. A modern relic, harkening back to a different era. Misterlowercase needs to get in on this!
Read More Here

Status
Not open for further replies.