PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Here's a question for you clay pipe fans out there. Would there be any disadvantage to fabricating a bone or horn sleeve to go over the stem of a clay pipe? I was thinking that making a 1 to 2 inch sleeve for the bit end, then gluing it into place with non-toxic white glue, might be a way around lip-sticking and pipe-notching, which I see as the biggest drawback to clays. Has this been thought of before, am I on to something, or is it a terrible plan?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
A simpler method would be to slip something into the drafthole to block the airway and dip the end of the stem in the stuff that you dip tool handles in to make them grip better. The stuff remains soft, is inert (to the best of my knowledge), and is smooth enough to eliminate sticking to the stem.
Russ

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Some people put those 'softy' mouth pieces on the stems but I don't see any reason why some form of sleeve wouldn't work.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Rub some beeswax or chapstick on the tip and see if that solves the problem. I have also used nail polish on the tip to make it easier to smoke. Or just lick your lips before using the pipe.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Thank you for the suggestions, guys. They are all good. My line of thinking was that I would like to stick to materials that would have been feasible back when clays were commonly used; beeswax is good for the lip-sticking, but I don't think it would help with the clenching aspect.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I use that heat shrink tubing as a cover on my mouth pieces, 1/2" shrinks to 1/4" and is easy to remove and replace as needed. I do have a clay with a metal collar that is glued to the pipe and a vulcanite bit fits in the other side that I found at an antique shop, PipesandCigars.com carries something similar but they don't ship to Canada.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/94957/old-german-clay-taster-set-pipes/

I plan in experimenting with a few ideas once I move into my new shop next month of shortening a clay pipe stem, rounding it, fitting it with a brass collar, and making a bit for it. I love my clay pipes but as a clencher I need something to clench that isn't gonna grind my teeth away.

Status
Not open for further replies.