PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I got my brother a clay pipe for his birthday later this month and had a few questions. How often does it need cleaning and how do do you clean it? Do you let cake build up on it?
Also- are there smooth/glazed clay pipes? I've been considering getting myself one but I hate the feel of unglazed clay.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I'm not even sure a churchwarden length cleaner will pass all the way through this. It's maybe a foot to a foot and half in length.
Edit: actually its 15.5" long.

Aug 1, 2012
I never clean mine. I don't smoke them often enough for them to get too crusty. When they do, one of the methods is to put them in the coals of a campfire or grill and let it bake while the fire goes out. Then wipe off the ash and you have a clean clay. At least that's what I've read.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Yea, as for cleaning it though, I just use the scraper part of my czeck tool after smoking to keep any cake from forming. Otherwise, as it get's brown/black and "dirty" I think it looks better - kind of like coloring a meer, only in this case you just have to accept that it's really just dirty. Holmes didn't clean his!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Are all clays excessively small? I would like one of those classic Elizabethan clays but the bowls are just so tiny...

Jul 12, 2011
I got a few Dutch Gouda style clays from Penn Valley, a great

looking and smoking clay, the bowl is big enough for a good 35-45

minute smoke

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
There are a few places to get some nice clays. I have a tavern style it is super long, prob 18 inches, but it does have a small bowl. It isn't one that I smoke often, but is enjoyable and of course looks awesome. Here is a llink for a good clay dealer.

http://www.pipeshoppe.com/index.php

Aug 14, 2012
You don't have to worry about cake. It will be broken before you get much. Clays smoke OK if well broken in, but rarely get that far.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
lol oh Foggy...
Just a bowl full of sunshine aren't ya? haha.
I've heard of people cleaning their pipes with coals when they start to get a patina on them, and this will make them all nice and white like when it was new. I've also heard of some putting it in their oven, and turning that sombitch up as high as it will go; broil/clean. And they say that works well also.
The only reason I'm hesitant to get a proper clay is the intermitant cleaning. I like to swab my stems with alcohol on a regular basis to kill germs and make me feel like it's clean.
Can I swab, or dip the tip of a clay, in high proof alcohol without worry? Or does everyone think it's not necessary to get alcohol even close to a clay stem?

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Basically: you don't clean a clay pipe. As foggymountain says: they're not supposed to last that long. A clay pipe is originally a disposable item. You smoke it until it breaks and get a new one. If you're lucky and one survives to a really gooey stage, you might try burning the bowl to a more cleanly state. And as for bowl size: clays were designed in a time when tobacco was very expensive, so hence the relatively small bowl size on most of them. You should easily be able to get an hours' worth of smoking from it, though.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I'm actually lookng at buying some 16" tavern clays from Penn Valley Pipes. Thanks for all the info on them guys! I know what my next PAD purchase is gonna be 2 16's and 2 6's

jsfinlay

Lurker
Aug 5, 2013
Hi all! I'm a potter and I'm looking to make clay pipes. But I'm not seeing were I can go to learn how to make them. I like the tavern pipe I have. And friends ask me to make some. Any help would be much appreciated.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Take a look here http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/
I have 2 Lapeltiers, a Partridge and a Cognac. I like to use them to try new blends, b/c I think they give you a more true flavor than any other kind of pipe. According to the info on Lapeltier's site, you just wash them with warm soapy water and let them dry for a day. That's what I've always done with mine and never had any problems. I will tell you that as far as my 2, the cognac is a little smaller bowl, however it smokes drier than the Partridge. They do get warm but as long as you don't hold them around the rim they don't get any hotter than my briars. I recommend them to anyone wanting a clay they can actually smoke like a regular pipe.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
My clay pipe arrived a couple of days ago and I'm looking forward to smoking it this week. I prefer aromatics, its deciding which one to smoke for its maiden appearance !
My clay pipe is a foot long.

Status
Not open for further replies.