PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I wanted to try some easy to find classics.The only pipe leaf the b&m I have access to has super value brands,half&half,ch,pa,cb.I had tried the h/h and Captain black my first week of the pipe.I don't even wanna talk about that.The cater hall was pretty good.I had the prince Albert as my breakfast smoke this morning and I'm glad I bought the tub.I can really find nothing wrong with this leaf.Put it in a tin,say that Germain has taken over production and watch the price rise.You could do that with any blend I think.Anyway all jokes aside this is a real pleaser and I can see why it has been around so long.Long live the prince.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I would consider many of the Dunhill blends "classics" like Dunhill Flake, Nightcap, etc. You should get some soon though if you want any, they stopped making them recently.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I've had nightcap.I just popped the seal on a tin of burbar and packed a bowl and will light after this post.I did get a couple blends nothing of the pure Virginia sort.I really was on the fence because I don't want to start liking something not available.But I decided to try knowing it was a one time thing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipes and Cigars has match blends for Prince Albert (Prince Andrew), and Carter Hall (Chathom Manor) for a bit less coin, though the originals are great. Seems you also have a palate for the "codger" blends, so C&D's "Pegasus" and Pipes and Cigars "Angler's Dream" may be worth looking into. Another old addition to blends of days gone by is an herb called deertongue. C&D's "Crooner" is an excellent example of this.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I try to like the Virginia but it doesn't agree with my tongue.I guess I tend to lean to the Burley.And you seem to know my palate as I have two pounds in the cellar another will go on my next order and I smoke it daily.I will try the sutliff but will probably just pay for the original unless I just change altogether.I recently discovered haunted bookshop,so that has taken over the past few days.Thanks for the suggestions.I just smoked some durbar as I typed but it kinda missed the mark.ng

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'll start by saying they may not be 'classics' but for solid burley flavor:
C&D Haunted Bookshop

C&D Old Joe Krantz

Any of the C&D Burley Flakes are nice options

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I try to like the Virginia but it doesn't agree with my tongue.I guess I tend to lean to the Burley.
P.A. has Virginia brights in it, perhaps even more of that than the sweetened Burleys and Orientals. It could be that you're allergic to only certain Virginias. Harris, for example, complains about red Va.
Somewhere in the forums JimInks wrote about all the Sutliff match blends, which serves as a nifty resource for discontinued codger blends. I'll search for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, PC's pouch or tub Chestnut, a match for the discontinued Walnut, and PC Russ O.'s Log Cabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.