PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I find that a lot of the fond associations with pipe smoking are driven by nostalgia for many. Since smell is the sense most closely linked to memory, this makes sense.
After smoking, my father will apply some of this aftershave--the Classic Clubman, presumably a similar scent to that used 200 yrs ago. For me this is a very classic aroma, like I'd imagine a 1950s barbershop to smell.
450.jpg

What other non-pipe aromas do you associate with the men of yesteryear?

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I use the Pinaud version of Bay Rum currently, the wife likes it and I've gotten several compliments at it at work too.
Beast, your father applies this after smoking? Is this to cover the smell of smoke? I only ask because my wife doesn't always appreciate the smell in my beard after smoking and I can see where this would be a good way to mask that smell.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Beast, your father applies this after smoking? Is this to cover the smell of smoke? I only ask because my wife doesn't always appreciate the smell in my beard after smoking and I can see where this would be a good way to mask that smell.
Exactly--he actually has a beard, so he applies it to this. A bit of irony as it's an "aftershave," but same end result.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I love the scent of original Polo, but wouldn't wear it. It brings back memories though. On the exceedingly rare occasion, once in a year if that, I wear Armani Mania, the same bottle I've had for 15yrs.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
lifesizehobbit, I don't know about Hai Karate but you can still fine Brut in many drug stores. Jade East is still available.
http://www.ebarbershop.com/jade-east-aftershave-1_25oz-travel-size.html

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Pinaud and Old Spice brings back some memories of my childhood. Old Spice from my father, and Pinaud from going to the barber in the 50's I used Pinaud for a short time when I shaved with a straight razor, but I rarely use any after shave/cologne that much anymore. If by chance I do I normally use Lagerfeld Photo as it's not overwhelming, has a somewhat refreshing scent and I've been give a lot of compliments on it when I happen to use it. Too much of any scent can be a turn off (as far as the women are concerned) and the same applies when a women uses too much perfume. One should get just a very sleight hint of some (hopefully) pleasing scent, and nothing more. Bottom line... less is always more.
Other than that, when I was younger the popular colognes were Jade and English Leather.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I'm a big fan of clubman after shave. I'm lucky enough to be close to a great shave shop that has a ton of aftershaves to choose from. http://www.maggardrazors.com/

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I use Pinaud Bay Rum. I love it, but she hates it. Save it for when she is out of town and I bask in the aromas.

Dec 28, 2015
Old Spice. My dad had a whole drawer full of the stuff because we got it for him every holiday. It was also really good for treating athletes foot!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
This time of year I usually reek of Deet.
:rofl:
Growing up spending parts of my summers at my Grandparents' place in the woods, I reeked of Deep Woods Off for weeks at a time.
When I was a younger teenager, for a time I would dab a little Sandalwood Arden for Men. My Dad warned that it might be a little "old" smelling for me, but I tell you it got the girls rubbernecking. :mrgreen:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My Dad drag raced when I was a kid, so I spent every weekend during the summer months at the drag strip and colder months in the garage. Classic smells for me are Nitromethane, high-octane race fuel, Goop hand cleaner and burnt rubber. Also Hoppes no.9!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bay rum and Hoppes! Also the scent of a freshly fired shotgun (before the Hoppes) are my earliest scent memories. Then came the Madeleines!

Status
Not open for further replies.