PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Just a couple pics of my newest cob and another new stem I picked up off the bay.
Before

null_zpscf6ee570.jpg

After

null_zpsaab1bd6b.jpg

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
venturer: That's NICE!
But get that thing banded!
Edit: I got beaten a little bit by the poster above me, but banding a cob is a huge improvement!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Where are you guys getting your banding material? I haven't ventured into the "bay" because I worried about the fit.
The pipes look great with new stems.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
You can put lipstick on a pig! The amber color works well and that blue one is an eye catcher for sure. Now color the bowl with a sharpie and you can go full custom. I like the look of a darker bowl on a cob. Looks less corny.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
@ cosmicfolklore, no boring was needed fits perfect. I have only had one that I needed to bore a bit but that was my fault for not checking the sizing on the stem.
Now, at the risk of sounding dumb. How and what do you use to band a cob?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have to admit that when I first got back into pipes I didn't care for cobs, I didn't like the look. But after hearing how well they smoke for the price I had to try one out. I must admit that I do enjoy how they smoke, as a clencher they are light weight and ride nicely. But still I didn't care for the look of them so I decided to try a few things with them. I bought a few and tried darkening them with shoe polish..... huge mess. I tried some Fiebing's that I had from dyeing knife sheaths... better. Then one day I was sitting at my desk at work and a sharpie grabbed my eye. Now I knew there would be a risk of ruining the pipe but hey, it's only 7 bucks. I colored a pipe all black, let it sit for 24hrs, packed it up and gave it a shot. Zero issues! No marker smell, didn't rub of on my hands, didn't affect the smoke, and no scent while smoking. I was very happy with the after effects and now I have a cob that I enjoy to look as much as the smoke. Here is a pic of 2 of my cobs. A Peterson Dracula inspired Diplomat with a 2 3/4" Forever stem and a Legend with a nosewarmer forever stem and 1/2" cut off the top for short smokes.

image_zps4c028363.jpg

Oh, sorry, I'm a jeweler, so I just just whipped one up from scratch. However, the copper one was a bit of copper tubing used in plumbing. Just hit it with some polish, and it'll shine... for 20 minutes. Then hit is again. LOL. Copper is the worst at keeping a polish.
My stems were both too thick and too long IMO, so while I was going to have to bore it out anyway, I also chopped back the stummel to make it feel right on my face.
Nope, I like the cob look, chispa, I'm not a fan of coloring the cob away.
Funny thing though. My girlfriend told me that the colored stems made the cob look cheap. I was like, "cheap? It's a freaking corncob, LOL."

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
It is always nice to find an adjunct to an already enjoyable pastime and let ones creative juices flow in the process.
ENJOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.