PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
As I have indicated previously, I have been acquiring some larger size pipes lately because I find that English blends really sing in wide and deep chambered pipes.
My most recent acquisitions in this grenre include a Castello OA dublin , a Michael Park's Magnum , and two Mike Butera dublins.
I also admired some of the work I saw from a new up-and-coming carver named Clark Layton. I had heard from numerous sources that his engineering was fantastic and that his prices were still very reasonable.
So I commissioned two XXL sized bent billiards from Clark. Pics are below.
You can find Clark's website here: http://laytonpipes.com
The dimensions are as follows, pasted directly from Clark's email to me:
Black w/cumberland
Weight: 3.2 oz

Length: 6 1/2"

Width: 1 7/8"

Height: 2 7/16"

Stem: "Cumberland" Ebonite Taper

Tenon: one piece integral stem/tenon Ebonite

Greek Briar

Open airway

Soft Leather Bag

Will pass a large fluffy pipe cleaner bit to bowl without taking pipe apart
Tan w/Black Stem
Weight: 3.0 oz

Length: 6 1/2"

Width: almost 1 7/8"

Height: 2 7/16" +

Stem: Black Ebonite Taper

Tenon: one piece integral stem/tenon Ebonite

Greek Briar

Open Airway

Soft Leather bag.

Will pass a large fluffy pipe cleaner bit to bowl without taking pipe apart
I love these pipes and think Clark did a fantastic job.
2yQi1mR.jpg

YTFI4Au.jpg

LlH5W0q.jpg

gSYDOMO.jpg

gJMmm9N.jpg

wHxSUgW.jpg

QMET8Tc.jpg

bgw7HKy.jpg

sYEWhZi.jpg

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Both pipes are very smart looking classics. Congratulations to you and the craftsman.
Are you going to break them in with your tobacco that's too expensive to smoke?

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Clark makes a damn good smoking pipe, and is awesome to work with. I commissioned this one earlier this year:

idZGTjD.jpg

AUs4dfp.png

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy them, peck.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Nice pair Peck, in the most hetero of ways, lol. I bought a layton beauty from Primal at Smokers' Haven at the Richmond CORPS show a couple months ago and it looks and smokes nothing short of perfect. Layton is certainly one to watch and anyone who is interested in his pipes had better pull the trigger sooner than later, because they will not stay as affordable as they are currently with the talent that he possesses. I've been watching his pipes for around a year and the progression in his pipe making over that period is amazing.
I hope your two burners smoke as well as mine does, Peck. His engineering is on point and his stemwork and resulting draw on the pipe provide a sublime smoking experience...every time. My Layton has seriously become one of my favorite pipes in my collection, if not my absolute favorite. This is taking both aesthetically pleasing looks and functionality into consideration.
Certainly do not mean to derail or hijack your thread, Peck, but here is the link to the post i made about my Layton billiard for anyone interested in his pipes.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/richmond-corpse-pipe-show-and-my-new-clark-layton-burner
20141011_200745-600x450.jpg

20141011_200952-600x450.jpg

Oh and let us know how they perform for you when you get a chance, Peck. Enjoy brother!!!

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I follow the guy on IG and love seeing everything that be pumps out. He is one talented guy!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks for introducing yet another carver that I was not familiar with.
BTW, those Butera pipes are stunning

Dec 24, 2012
Layinpipe - gorgeous birdseye on that one. Some of the nicest I have seen.
I will add that Clark was great to deal with and was very communicative during the commission process.
Without me even asking, he would send pics to me at each stage of the construction of the pipes, which really was a lot of fun.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks Peck...no wait, thank Clark!! Thank you Clark, lol! Great to know, Peck, that is really extra reassurance when i look for my next commission. I will definitely keep him in mind and he will be near the top of my list. Primal said he was a really nice guy and that he would tell him about me buying that pipe and that Clark would want to know, as it had been his entry into one of the pipe making contests this year i believe, maybe KC or something like that. Anyways, enjoy and great thread for future members of the forum and general public to search through if ever needed.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Yeah, Peck, I gave him a picture of something like I wanted and it was definitely Danish. I've got an album of the making of the thing, from block to finished product. Really personal and a nice touch.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Those look fantastic peck. Have you smoked one yet? Definitely has my eye. May need to shoot an email to him...

B

laytonpipes

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
My ears were ringing so I knew someone was talking about me. Glad it was good things. I'm also glad you guys are happy! I learned most everything I know from Premal Chheda

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Bradley, please keep us updated and post pics and a review, if you would be so kind!
Clark, a hearty welcome to the forums, my friend! Like i said before above, you have a real talent and a bright future in pipe making, so please please please keep up the great work, lol! I am proud to own and show off your burner and it honestly is in my top 3 pipes out of around 50 in both looks and smoking performance. I have been spreading the word at my local b&m about your pipes, as i visit there usually once a week. I have had around 5 or 10 people compliment the pipe and ask about who made it and all that jazz. I gladly tell them and let them know where to find you online. The billiard will definitely not be my last Layton pipe!
Cheers, brother!

-Corey

laytonpipes

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
Corey, Thank you for taking the time to post and spread the word!, happy customers are the best form of advertisement in my mind. I'm glad your happy with it. Clark

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Well my commission is soon to come it would appear. Thanks gents for pointing out this carver. Looking forward to the sketches from him already.

B
Edit:spelling(post before SEVERAL doubles of Macallan 15)

Dec 24, 2012
Well, I got my two big billiards today and am duly impressed. It was also great of Clark to throw in one of his hand-made pipe stands.
ztrVhzK.jpg

yoVHeOf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.