Status
Not open for further replies.

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Good afternoon all.
Clan pipe tobacco anyone heard of it?.
A bit of back story though first.
When clan was introduced it was somewhat of a novelty, its odd amd distinguishable room note and aromas from8 the pouch appealled

Very much to the young men who wanted to smoke a pipe but not be seen as old before their time.

You only have to look at old adverts of the stuff to see that.

But clan soon garnered a horrific reputation with the type of pipe smoker who smoked fast and didnt like aromatics.
Those that have will probably be more than familiar with the horrors that are associated with it.

It is often accused of been too hot hot on the pipe savage on the tongue and just generally not a very good tobacco.
Indeed my first experience with it was less than great.

My aunty got me a pack from spain and the cut seemed too thin, it was too dry and the flavour was disgusting.

Given i was relatively new too pipesmoking it very soon turned out to be a disaster and it felt like a clan of berserkers were running riot on my tongue.

The pack very soon got binned and i swore never too touch the stuff again.
That was until my brother bought me a pack back from greece.

The memories came flooding back but thankful that he got me a gift i troed it anywho and something has changed.

And it is one of two things or a mix of both.

My cadence and skill have vastly improved and the cut is wider more moisture and less in your face flavour.
Sipped and savoured clan has proved to be a nice smoke.

It reveals its flavours a little at time going from rum and whiskey to a latakia style smokiness to a lovely anise finish.

For an otc it has a surprising amount of complexity and one that from time to time makes a nice change of pace smoke.
Will it take the place of my beloved condor though?

Not a hope in hell but if i was out and about fancied a pipe but had no tobacco and seen this sure id be happy to get an ounce.
It just goes to show a few little improvements goes miles and miles towards smoking pleasure
Best regards
Craig

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It's been over 20 years since I've had Clan and I also found that it burned hot, much like Flying Dutchman. I did enjoy the taste and room note but the fire in the hole was too much for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was given a pouch of Clan as a gift. It was brought back from The Netherlands. The few mentions of Clan on Forums

pretty much dismissed it as an awful pouch tobacco, so my pouch is still unopened. This post re-introduces the question

and makes me think I might give it a try. The trouble is, it is in line behind a number of other tobaccos that I fully expect

to enjoy, so it is a question of when I want to run this experiment. I think a number of tobaccos that are summarily written

off are not bad, or are even quite good, smoked in the right way. Clan has been around for 50 years or more, and you don't

do that with a completely unpleasant product, so I suspect it has its virtues.

Status
Not open for further replies.