Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Clan

(32 posts)
  1. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

Well here we go, I'm gonna try to put something straight. I gave up the pipe for a few years and recently I have crawled back to the briar, how I have missed it. Now I have read some god awful opinions on Clan pipe tobacco here and quite frankly I am surprised (you know who you are!) because over the last few weeks I have tried a few choice blends and quite honestly nothing is as distinct or memorable as good old Clan. Nothing smells like it or tastes like it and nothing makes you pick up the pipe quicker than a bowl of it. As they would say in Scotland, "Clan is the bollocks," (please excuse the language this should be said in a Glaswegian accent) which is appropriate for the name Clan. It does, after all, have a Tartan package. So come on folks, am I really the only secret Clan lover on the site?

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I certainly hope so, for the good of mankind. I haven't had it in 20 years, and that's on purpose. My most memorable tasting note in Clan is the inimicable burning-shredded-plastic sort of taste.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple of years ago I was gifted a pouch of Clan and really enjoyed it. Too bad we can't get it here in the USA.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am neutral to the subject, having never run across this blend. I like Scottish blends, but prefer English/Balkans. I do like the idea of a tartan package and the name, though.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

Aha, two people on my side! We could soon form a clan of our own

So that's 3 to 1 so far.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never heard of Clan. So I'm on nobody's side because nobody's on my side.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

youre on your own side

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. I have often wondered who purchased the stuff. I have smoked it once or twice. Its on par with Royal Yuck and whilst it smells delightful it burns so hot its like smoking a bowl full of pubic hairs and renders your tongue useless for any extra curricular activities for a least a week!

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

I may be fighting a losing battle here

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Simon, how you really feel?...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What I am wondering is where in NYC can you find a gal with pubes? The waxers rule. Must have been in your youth when you smoked such a bowl....

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

I will give you that Clan does smell very nice, both in the pouch and in the room note. However, it really burns as hot as any tobacco I have ever tried. Rumour has it that it was the inspiration behind the invention of Napalm.

On a technical note: Clan is not a Scottish blend and has nothing to do with Scotland whatsoever. The name and tartan are just marketing ploys from the Dutch company which makes it.

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Clan ... I have a guy in a cigar club in a nearby town that used to smoke pipe, and he just gave me an ear full about how grand clan was. I tried it out of sheer curiosity. Nice smell, nice room note, burns hot as a furnace and the taste is not even a 10th of what it smells like. Not my cup of tea ...

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

The Clan was the classic in France before the 70s, with its competitor the Amsterdamer.

Especially smoked by young people and students when it was a little fashionable to smoke a pipe, but actually because it smelled good around.

Not so much by the "real" pipe smokers ...

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

Ok, I'm losing, I can take it. I will stash it all under the floorboards so that fellow smokers cannot see it

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

I'm not so Clan as you think I am

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought an old 7 ounce tin i think from Pipe stud. I agree it looks like a very fine shag cut (pubic hair) as per condorlover. But I have not smoked it yet. I may have to pull some out... and try it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

Ok, I'm losing, I can take it. I will stash it all under the floorboards so that fellow smokers cannot see it

Please, smoke what pleases you, Clan was, and probably is, one of the most sold pipe tobaccos in Europe; it certainly is in Spain where it has been available as long as I can remember. Many smokers agree with you. I donĀ“t smoke it because I try to follow the advice I have just given you, but I believe that everyone should smoke whatever pleases them and not pay attention to the opinions of others.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

Got you cachimbero and thanks for your sincere and honest comments. It is true, we all have our own taste and yes we should all enjoy what we like.

P.S I'm gonna start on about Goldblock soon

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I concur. Smoke what makes you happy. Life is too short.

I've never had Clan. But, I've never tried a tobacco that I couldn't appreciate. I may appreciate some more than others. But, I always enjoy smoking tobacco.

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Good Ole Clan has always been very popular in our country and apparently still is because many of those men who started pipe smoking back in the 60-70 do apparently favor it by this day,included me on occasion ,not a bad one, some adaptation is needed,moreover,presumably Clan does have roots in classical Netherlands Baai* style pipetobaccoes,brands like Oud HeerenBaai,Coopvaert,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 months ago #
  22. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Paul. Yes, now that is maybe getting closer to the truth and the reason why Clan tends to stand out against other types.

Clan does have roots in classical Netherlands Baai* style pipetobaccoes,brands like Oud HeerenBaai,Coopvaert,

I haven't tried the tobaccos above but will happily put them on the list.

Take care of yourself and enjoy that pipe!

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. pufferfish

pufferfish

Login to Send PM

@Paul You've got me thinking. I have smoked a few packs of Troost in the past, another Scandinavian style tobacco. I enjoyed that one a lot !!

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Clan always reminded me of Flying Dutchman. Nice pouch aroma but smoked very hot, but I always had that issue with shag cuts.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Used to smoke Clan on a regular basis years ago, I might just have to go and buy a pouch and see if the same.

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My understanding All Those Hollandaise tobaccies tend to smoke hot, more or less, I had my worst experience with Amsterdamer Blue,we have had this Troost brand available as well,if my memory serves right it was quite popular,then there is one specific ancient brand produced by Scandinavian tobacco group, The Greve Gilbert Hamiltons* Blanding, nicotine-rich Virginia forward ribbon cut sold only in Sweden&Finland since the twenties and it is still quite popular among older pipesmokers and widely available in both countries.

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recall seeing it years ago,but never smoked any.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 months ago #
  28. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

Every few years or so the topic of Clan re-emerges on the pipe boards, like a zombie rising from the grave.

Read all about it here, but have a care: once you read this screed, you can never unread it.

Your life will be forever changed.

You have been warned.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 2 months ago #
  29. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@STBruno70, gotcha, lol, btw.Love Your choice of an avatar

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

@Paul - you can probably guess wot my favourite baccy is, and I restock on it every time I go back to Blighty.
    How depressing to see in the duty-free section of Thiefrow Airport endless piles of Clan but nary a tin of St Bruno flake.

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. piperbole

piperbole

Login to Send PM

Clan is a familiar smell for me, every weekend at my grandads, clan ruled the roost. I remember rubbing his tobacco for him aged 5 or 6.

Apparently it's less well received on the smokers end. It's an over the counter here in the UK, which is a huge positive.

I'm on condor at the moment, will make a 50g clan my next purchase.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@piperbole, good luck for You, what I often do with Clan,is that I use to rehydrate it, and then prior to smoke let em tobacco air dry for some 20 min and packing a bit tighter than usual, yet sip it slowly and You're supposed to have quite acceptable smoking experience.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jfred, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes