PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have a pair of City Deluxe in the 9438 style I put together as a "weekender" set. My problem is that the twin bore holes in the bit are so small I can't get a pipe cleaner through them (even the smallest I can find) making cleaning the bit impossible. Anyone else have this issue and what was your solution? Thanks for any help you can provide

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wish I could help you. I confess, I bought a twin-bore Britannia smooth Dublin before I realized it was twin bore. Talk about buyer's remorse. But it smoked nicely, broke in quickly, and was uncommonly light for its size denoting -- to me anyway -- good well-aged briar. The saving grace is that both bores readily permit passing a pipe cleaner through them, to my amazement. Because of the twin bore feature, they knocked the price down near the basket pipe price. So it was a win-win mistake. Alternately, a single bore French pipe, a beautiful slender slightly bent Dublin, seemed to capture fluff from every pipe cleaner. I tried everything, bare wire and other cleaning, and finally traded off the pipe. It was anxiety instead of relaxation after a while.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My City Deluxe 9438 twin bore would pass a cleaner, but barely. I eventually sold it.

You could have new stems made, City Deluxe briar is pretty decent and probably worth modest investment.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I remove the stem and insert the cleaner through the tenon first as far as I can in both bores on my Kaywoodie Allbriar & Pietenpauw twin bores, but I'm sure you already tried this. You use more pipe cleaners of course.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have no problem getting a pipe cleaner through mine. My City de Luxe is a Canadian shape an smoke better thsn my GBD International Canadian. Stay with it as it's a nice pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.