Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   

City de Luxe Manufacture Dates

(9 posts)
  1. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

I cannot find the approximate year that GBD stopped manufacture of the City de Luxe brand. Can anyone help?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have not been able to find anything about dates for the CdL's. I'm curious as well since I have a nice little Canadian and would like to know its approximate age.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

I have a pricelist from the mid 60ties were City de Luxe should have been on the Danish market but I have never seen one here.

But in the late 80ties I bought 4 or 5 new old stock over in Sweden. Smooth twin bore ( Tuskan ) nd sandblasts.Very nice
    pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s almost always much tougher to estimate when production of anything ended than when it began. A product launch is accompanied by fanfare in the press and applications for trademarks. Dropping a product is a much more furtive and occasionally intermittent process.

For what it’s worth the City de Luxe appears in the 1969 RTDA almanac, and is gone by the 1974 edition (I don’t have access to the intervening years). This would suggest production (or at least availablity in America) stopped in the early 1970s. On the other hand Jacque Cole’s article in the July 1982 issue of Tobacco includes a brief mention which implies the City de Luxe was still being produced at that time, in both England and France. Other than that brief citation I haven’t seen anything referencing the line after the 1970s.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

By the way, I have cut out English ads from 1924 & 1927. City de Luxe price 5/6........101 shapes !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. swb118

swb118

Login to Send PM

Would it be safe to say that manufacturing had ceased prior to Comoy's merged with GBD in the 80's?

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Honestly it would be just guessing. The Adler family remains in control of Oppenheimer and its related entities; you might shoot them an email and see what they say.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

THey are in the 1950's, and 1938 oppenheimer catalogs I have.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And the June 1932 Smokers Handbook

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   didimauw, irishearl, donjgiles, cosmicfolklore, kilroyjune6, tuold, davet, workman, ryeguy, laniromee, yaboofive, papawhisky, elbert, paulie66scandinavian