Circa 1920's Comoy's Sandblast 4 (Large)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving this old bulldog. Got it at a very affordable price. The seller marked it as a 1920 Comoy's Sandblast Shape 4 which is correct according to the pipe shape chart available at Comoy's 1909 Shape Chart
YNcLnxV.jpg

1g4CjNM.jpg

xo7OjDj.jpg

KmrsNxi.jpg

GgTHT0I.jpg

JHoQAU9.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Monk, looks like a very fine pipe! I love the old pipes, I sit there and smoke them wondering about all the crazy things they have seen, the changes in technology, the fall of empires, World Wars, moon landings, etc, etc it blows my mind a little when I am in the zone with one! Happy puffing!!

I am the same when it comes to old estates. Oh the stories they would tell if they could talk. This is my main attraction to the vintage pipes. This one was made 6 years before my grandfather was even born. 27 years before India got its independence from the British.
Someone needs to write a historically accurate fiction novel about the life of a pipe.
Cheers,

Chris

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a very nice piece, but that stem looks much later than the 1920's. I put little stock into sellers' descriptions as few of the know what they're writing about. Do you have a good picture of the stampings?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How far back does the sandblast finish go? Do they pre-date the 1920's? Not just on Comoys, but on pipes in general?

Hi Jesse, I just bought it and it will be shipped on the 1st. Will get some stamping pictures once it reached my US address. I am living in India currently so won't be able to personally inspect it.
@mso What I've heard is that Alfred Dunhill was the first one to sandblast pipes. Here is some sauce on it The Art of Sandblasting. I maybe wrong however, my knowledge is quite limited as compared to other brothers in the forum.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sandblast Comoy's frequently fly under the radar. The Sandblast finish was introduced in the 1950's, if I remember correctly. Same great stem!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ford, pipes can't see dude. They lack eyes, processing power, and the will. That said, my pipes do speak... they whisper to me late at night, trying to make me do bad, evil things, but don't worry. I don't listen to them. I'm not crazy :)

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I have a blasted Comoy poker that is allegedly from the 40's. I'll snap a pic later and post. I'm curious if the seller was certain of the date or just pulled a date from the air.

May 31, 2012
Al the sandblast Comoy have been dated to 1920s. Pipedia Comoy's Grades just under the Magnum section.
Chris
This is where stamping comes in handy,

the late 20's example the author states that he owns most likely has a stamp like this:

London Made. Comoy’s were the first London pipe maker to use this phrase. It is the earliest stamp to be used and can be found from 1902 or perhaps earlier and on into the 1930s . At this time, it can appear as “London” over “Made” or in a straight line.
Made in England. This is stamped in a circle with “Made” at the top, “in” in the middle, and “England” forming the bottom of the circle. I call this the football shape or F/B for short. I have seen this stamp on a Cecil dated as early as 1910 and on an Old Bruyere of 1921 and then only on pipes from the 1930s.
Various examples seen here:

http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-comoy.html
So look at the stamp when you get it.
It's a cool pipe,

looks near mint to me.

Congrats!

Smoke 'er well!

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This statement is not written very clearly, but they are talking about sandlbasted pipes, not the "Sandblast" grade, which by catalogs, appears in the 1950's. At least this is what Mike Reschke shared with me.
Sandblast. I am not sure when Comoy’s first produced the sandblast finish but have one dating from the late 1920s. I also have an Extraordinaire 802, which is rusticated as apposed to sandblasted, but I believe this to be a very rare finish.

May 31, 2012
How far back does the sandblast finish go? Do they pre-date the 1920's? Not just on Comoys, but on pipes in general?
MSO,

a very very murky issue,

wish we had more info, but at present time there doesn't seem to be any concrete answers.

If someone could seriously invest the time and write a book on the subject,

I'd buy a copy in a heartbeat!
This thread tried to make a way thru the fog,

but it is a dense thicket:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/early-sandblasted-pipes-many-unknowns-yet-remain
:puffpipe:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The stamping will tell the tale. I've never seen a Comoys sandblast with 1920's or even 1930's stamping.
But, I did find this one(someone got a great deal on this!) The nomenclature is too worn to read from the pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comoys-Sandblast-tobacco-pipe-army-mount-1930s-billiard-3-piece-C-/151741779193?nma=true&si=NMWvBlC7LPw4eMhnchcpV3qlXoI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd have loved to see the nomenclature on this one. Why no nomenclature pix SmokingPIpes???
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=46397

May 31, 2012
I'd have loved to see the nomenclature on this one. Why no nomenclature pix SmokingPIpes???
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=46397
mama mia!

:!:

8O
That pipe is dropdead gorgeous!
I agree about the nomenclature pix,

always an important aspect for any collector,

it'd be a nice added touch.
One of the good things about eBay is seeing all the zoom'd up details 'n such...
...for reference,

here's a good example of the "football shape" aka "rugby stamp"...
6I7LtHK.png

Status
Not open for further replies.