Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I enjoy a good cigar on occasion, but I smoked one tonight and found it not to be as enjoyable. I know there are some differences between cigars despite it being the same type, but it's just not as enjoyable to me as smoking a pipe has become. Thankfully, the whole experience was redeemed once I had a bowl of Frogmorton, but that made me curious as to how many of you fine folks have run into the same thing?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I enjoy both, but I only find myself in my humidor on rare occasion. I'll smoke a cigar if I'm home alone for an evening or maybe at a concert, but otherwise it is briar time.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I still maintain a humidor and like a good cigar now and then.
However, they have definitely taken the backseat to pipes.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I can't say I can pin point why but I turn to a cigar when I want a straight tobacco taste. I love pipe tobacco for the range of flavors it offers outside that from smoky to sweet. Of course there are complexities and hints of flavors in a well made and properly smoked cigar and you can get a strong tobacco taste in a pipe but I still find that is the way my taste runs. I rarely go to a cigar these days just because I prefer larger cigars and don't often have the time to properly enjoy one.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@daimyo, I'm in the same boat. I have a bunch of churchills and double coronas that I can't ever find the time to enjoy.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've found that I have to spend as much on one cigar as I do on a tin of pipe tobacco to even have a chance to enjoy it. It's just not a good value for me. So I've given up cigars completely. (unless someone offers me one) :lol:

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
@tuold That's a great point. I don't know why I didn't think of that since I'm trying to be careful with my finances, but you're right. If I had to choose between one cigar that I may not have time to enjoy, or a tin of great pipe tobacco. I'll take the tin.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
The price certainly is a big factor! My tastes are geared much more towards pipe tobaccos, the pleasures of choosing the pipe, tobacco, loading etc. are more than that of a cigar.
That being said, I do have a small humidor - when I have an evening walk I like a cigar, pipes I tend to stay put.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
I've tried to get into the cigar thing. But there's something missing everytime I light a cigar, I feel that I could have had a more pleasent time with one of my pipes. The only cigar, if it could be called that, that I really do like is the Toscano Antico made with kentucky tobacco.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I smoked cigars for years, still have one on occassion. However, I hate I went so many years before I found the joy of pipe smoking.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
I went through a period where I smoked cigars a lot more than pipes. I think of that time as the year of impatience.

Life was hectic and I just didn't feel like taking the time to enjoy a pipe properly. Now, I do enjoy an occasional cigar but nothing is better than smoking a well packed pipe. For me, it's like taking the time to savor a fine meal versus just gobbling something down for the sake of eating.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was an occasional cigar smoker, before trying a pipe (and becoming an avid pipe smoker). Three years passed without a cigar. Last summer, a buddy brought me back some Cubans from Canada. I tried one and it was merely OK. No real flavor came thru. I primarily didn't like the feel of the fat cigar in my mouth. I must be too used to the feel of a slim stem and well-cut button. I gave the rest away.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
My brother used to smoke cigars regularly and he explained to me that after the Cuban revolution, most of the good cigar makers fled cuba to Nicaragua, The Dominican Republic & other places and that Cuban cigars haven't been the same since.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I still smoke cigars, but definitely prefer my pipes. Cigars, for me, are more of a social thing. If there is company then some cigars after dinner are great to share. Many will take an occasional cigar, but not a pipe.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
I went to a pipe because it seemed like every cigar I smoked they all tasted the same. I went to a cigar event and we smoked a stick that was rolled with 4 different outer leafs., as you smoked the guy putting the seminar on would talk about the flavor of each wrapper. I gotta tell ya they were all just about the same. Don't get me wrong but there are exceptionall cigars out there put to me they are very few and far between.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Thanks for the recommendation @sailorjeremy. I've eyed those before, so an endorsement from a fellow piper carries some more weight.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I have only had a few cigars in my life and was never that impressed (they were always cheap ones).

But then a couple of weeks ago I had a reasonably priced short cigar, an Oliva Serie G, that cost £6 (according to an online converter this is around $10?).

It was really good...not as good as great pipe tobacco, but good. Still out of my price range to smoke regularly though.
If anyone has any experience in robbing banks, please get in touch.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I may be the exception here as I smoke a box of Camacho toro's a week in addition to my pipes. Cigar in the morning with my newspaper and then to the pipe for a few bowls and back to cigars for yard work or whatever.

Needless to say, I'm the #1 customer at the B&M with my cigar, pipes and tobacco purchases.

I'd probably be better off playing golf but I'm way better at smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.