PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
Try as I may, I have never been able to enjoy a cigar. They just don't taste as good as Pipes to me. Anybody have any or the same experience. I don't think I'll ever enjoy a cigar like a pipe but wouldn't mind finding a cigar that can substitute in a pinch. Any suggestions, advice would be welcome.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Cohiba and Montecristo Cuban Cigars taste amazing. I think they have Dominican or Nicaraguan versions which are meant to be still pretty good if you can't get Cubans. :)

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I never used to like cigars but I am starting to enjoy them every once in awhile.

The ones I enjoy the most are:

Rum Runner

Cohiba

Avo #2

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Like a lot of things they are an acquired taste. When I tasted my first beer it was the grossest thing I ever tasted. Eventually I learned to like and finally really liked it. I think the same goes for cigars vs. pipe.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I like cigars ... I've smoked the pipe longer, but in the past 15 years, have smoked many, many cigars as well. While there are many good Cuban cigars, they are both difficult to come by in the US and are extraordinarily expensive not to mention the fact that in the US, counterfeits abound ...
There are more good cigars on the market right now than at any other time in history. There should be no shortage of cigars that will suit your taste profile, whatever that might be. I've found that in general, I tend to like many cigars of Nicaraguan origin ...

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
Try as I may, I have never been able to enjoy a cigar. They just don't taste as good as Pipes to me. Anybody have any or the same experience. I don't think I'll ever enjoy a cigar like a pipe but wouldn't mind finding a cigar that can substitute in a pinch. Any suggestions, advice would be welcome.
Well, what cigars have you tried? What pipe tobaccos do you like? What do you think tastes better about the pipe tobacco? Hard to make a recommendation for a cigar without having a little more knowledge like that.
I must say I've only recently taken to pipe smoking, though I've smoked cigars for 30 years. I love them both, but I don't find that one can be substituted for another. They're different -- different tobaccos, different amounts of smoke, very different kinds of draws and how you pull on them -- I think you kind of need to accept the differences and enjoy each on its own terms.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
They really are two different animals. I smoke both and can tell you it's like trying to compare crawfish vs. ice cream. You eat both of them but in very different ways. Just like there's much difference between drug store and premium pipe tobacco I think there is greater distance between cheap cigars and their premium cousins. I smoke a pipe most of the time and save my cigar smoking for a really nice premium cigar.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As stated above, they are completely different animals. There isn't one cigar blend that is similar to any pipe blend.
If you're into aromatic pipe blends then you may want to try out some of the "infused" cigars like Drew Estates Acid Kuba Kuba or ,my favorite, Isla del Sol. CAO has some Flavours cigars which are based off of some of their aromatic pipe tobaccos like Moontrance, Bella Vanilla, and Cherrybomb.
If you're not into aromatic blends then it'll be even more hit or miss.
I'm a strictly aromatic pipe smoker and I've dabbled with cigars over the last year or so. I've really come to enjoy CAO's offerings like Gold, Gold Maduro, Criollo, Concert, Hurricane, Cameroon. Also don't mind an Arturo Fuente Curly Head which is a rather cheap cigar at around $2-$3 a stick.
If you want to like cigars I'd say just pop in your local B&M once or twice a month to sample a different style of cigar. That way you're only out $5-$8 a trip and you can get some advice from the people that work there. Like with a lot of things in life, you have to find out what you don't like first in order to find what you do like.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Try some Cameroon wrapper cigars, they tend to be lighter and mellow without sacrificing richness or becoming dry like other lighter shade wrappers can tend to do. They have a certain smooth/sweet note to them that I really enjoy when I want something different fron the usual maduros, sun growns and sumatras.

Status
Not open for further replies.